Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Replacing Mirena with progesterone tabs and if it helps sleep  (Read 808 times)

suey43

Replacing Mirena with progesterone tabs and if it helps sleep
« on: August 06, 2019, 09:22:39 AM »

Hello everyone,
Since I've been on HRT (5 years) I've been using the Mirena for the progesterone element. Am now thinking about having it removed and using progesterone tablets instead. A friend just told me the tablets really help her sleep - has this been the case for any of you?Insomnia was one of my worst symptoms of menopause so am hoping that will help me too. Any tips/advice really appreciated!
Thank you :)

Beaker

Re: Replacing Mirena with progesterone tabs and if it helps sleep
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »

Hi sue43,

I definitely find that the progesterone tablets help me to sleep.  I am prescribed Utrogestan.  However if you are sensitive to progesterone, even these tablets (which are meant to be a very good version of Progesterone) can make you moody, irritable, have bloating and so on.  So if you are super-sensitive to Progesterone (like me) it might be better to stick with what you are doing.   

suey43

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 09:12:40 AM »

Thanks Beaker, may give it a go. No idea if I'm sensitive to progesterone - only one way to find out!

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 09:49:57 AM »

Hi suey43, I think it will be well worth your trying Utrogestan capsules or possibly MPA, as lots of women find these sedative.  Bear in mind though, that some women find the opposite effect - progesterone can make them feel wired - I am one of the latter & cannot tolerate Utrogestan whatever the route of administration.  Amongst other horrible side effects, it makes my night sweats & chronic insomnia even worse.  Currently trialling MPA, but jury's out on that just now!  Hope you get on well with whatever you decide.

suey43

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 01:43:04 PM »

Thanks Wrensong. Ooh had no idea it could have the opposite effect - how awful for you! What is MPA? Hope that proves to be the answer for you.

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 04:38:17 PM »

MPA is also known as Provera, suey.  Tablet form progestogen that comes in a range of strengths.  Considered a bit old fashioned, but as there are so few options for women needing a separate progestogen, needs must!

Angel19

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »

I've been taking utrovestan for 5 weeks now and I've slept wonderfully since. No more tossing and turning. Some nights I don't get up once. Only problem at moment is terrible bloating & not sure if it's that or the Estrogel

suey43

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 05:56:35 PM »

Thanks Angel19 and Wrensong, sounds very hopeful then! Good luck both with peaceful nights.