Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Sunday Times article ‘pioneering new technique to override the menopause  (Read 2900 times)

Perinowpost

Anyone see this?

Katejo

Anyone see this?
I haven't seen it but it was included on the BBC news 24 papers discussion last night. Unfortunately I was too tired to listen and fell asleep before they got to it. I believe it is only going to be available to younger women.

Sparrow

Yes it's only for women who have early meno.

Perinowpost

That's right, it's too late for any of us post meno but still an exciting breakthrough. I predict that in the future the informed wealthy will pay to postpone their menopause x

Ladybt28

Yes I saw the same/similar article in the Daily Mail.  Costs £7,000 apparently!
I'm not sure I understand how taking a bit of ovarian tissue and thenre-implanting it later could possibly generate enough hormones to sustain the right level but then who am I to wonder why?  …. :) :-X

Sparrow

Not sure postponing mine would have been worth it as I was nearly 57 anyway.  Also glad to see the back of those pesky hormones.  And periods for ever, no thanks.

Katejo

It was featured on BBC Breakfast this morning. I missed the end as I had to leave for work but it was well presented with quite a bit of detail about how the process works and an interview with a young woman who has had the treatment. She had to have a very  early hysterectomy and then suffered HRT symptoms from her 20's.

Foxylady

This Morning discussing the ovarian grafting, missed the start, hopefully get it on catch up!!

Perinowpost

Katejo snap missed the end due to leaving for work. I just think it's interesting how things are progressing scientifically and if course it's good news for those facing an early meno, but also who knows what it might mean for an ageing population, especially given we are all living/having to function longer x

Sparrow

Katejo snap missed the end due to leaving for work. I just think it's interesting how things are progressing scientifically and if course it's good news for those facing an early meno, but also who knows what it might mean for an ageing population, especially given we are all living/having to function longer x

I can well see the point for women with premature menos but surely it would be expensive and intrusive for others (in does involve surgery).  My problems were right through a peri which last well over a decade, probably near 12-13 years.  Post meno this sort of treatment would be useless, as I'm sure it would be for many women. I'm glad to see the back of my hormones and feel much better for their departure. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Likewise.  I HATED having periods  >:(

When would 1 have to start this process?  Probably at an age when menopause is way out there.