Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: First HRT prescription, bit confused  (Read 1143 times)

Rosehip

First HRT prescription, bit confused
« on: June 26, 2019, 04:13:12 PM »

Hello all,

I'm 45 and in the past year have started suffering from food intolerances and anxiety at certain times of the month. I also get very weepy on certain days and utterly exhausted on others. I occasionally wake up feeling like I've have a hot nights sleep but don't suffer from full on hot flushes yet. I have trouble remembering things and that is getting steadily worse.

So I went to the docs and she agreed to put me on low dose hrt for perimenopausal symptoms (my periods are still pretty regular). There is a history of DVT in my family and I had a suspected one having taken the morning after pill.

I've been prescribed evorel sequi patches for the whole month with Utrogestan for days 14 - 28 of my cycle. I was happy with this until I realise that the sequi patches contain a different type of progesterone that can cause anxiety. I'm reluctant to start this now.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use estrogen gel all month and then use Utrogestan for days 14 - 28?

Thanks in advance.

Rose

Dotty

Re: First HRT prescription, bit confused
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 04:15:42 PM »

Hi if you have got Evorel Sequi patches then you don't need the Utrogestan as well.

If you want to use a patch then you need an Oestrogen only patch with the utrogestan or you could use gel with the Utrogestan x

Rosehip

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 04:22:19 PM »

Thanks for your reply Dotty, I did think it was progesterone overload! So I would go back to docs and ask for either a oestrogen only patch or gel. Are there any benefits to gel over patches? I'm not sure why but I prefer the thought of gel.

xx
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:24:27 PM by Rosehip »

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 04:26:08 PM »

It's personal choice really. It's easier to change the dose with gel x

Rosehip

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 04:30:37 PM »

Great, that's what I'm after, a dose I can control. Is there such a thing as progesterone gel? X

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »

No.....you can have progesterone as Utrogestan or a Mirena coil x

Rosehip

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »

Ah ok, thanks so much for clearing this up for me. Back to the docs tomorrow x

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »

You have to try it and see. I was on everel sequi and fine with the prog phase. Had to change to gel/utro as I came out in a rash under the patch but find I get very tired on utro. Many others have problems with it too so really you have to find the one that  suits you.

Rosehip

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 05:01:42 PM »

I wonder if it's poss to take Utrogestan every other day to ease into it? I'm struggling with wether I need the full dose of either yet, but don't want to mess hormones up further! X

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 06:02:48 PM »

IMO it would be better to use a sequi cycle so you can tell how you react to the prog. For continuous you should should be meno not peri. Peri is difficult because the hormones you're producing means you're often not on the ideal amount. It's important you have a proper bleed so the lining remains thin so best to stick to the recommended dose of prog.