Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New member with Elleste dilemma  (Read 1256 times)

Montyruth

New member with Elleste dilemma
« on: June 22, 2019, 07:29:07 AM »

Hello fellow crazy people (bit of an assumption there).  I'm 48, English teacher, 3 grown up kids, happily married now to husband number two, was with number one for 21 years, last 5 were hellish and we split when I was 43.  Live in Newark, runner and yogi.  Getting mid-life belly, don't care about that, generally contented with my life and very grateful for health and situation. 

So I'm here because of the ups and downs of menopause.  Seems fairly taboo at work still.  Most friends are younger than me or much older and have forgotten it seems.  My mum's was awful.  Mine isn't as bad as hers.  She wanted to drive off a road and kill herself, and had a bit of a breakdown over that.  HRT helped her a lot.  So when I started to get severe mood swings, unpredictable periods, really sore boobs, warm flushes (never really hot), and a lot of anxiety and irritability, I went straight off the the GP and got Elleste duet 1mg.  It worked so well.  Period trouble stopped, boobs went back to normal, sex got easier again (no lube needed), mood stabilised and I thought it was all sorted.

But then Elleste had these manufacturing issues and is no longer available, so the doctor prescribed Femoston 1/10, saying it was the closest thing.  I took one pack, so far so good.  Had a little three day withdrawal bleed, but halfway through the next pack, towards the end of the Estradiol only pills, I had a massive, massive period, with PMT, full on bleed, lasted several days.  It was a totally normal period, not a breakthrough.  Because I'd had a big period, I decided to continue onto the next pack and I skipped the progestogone part, so now have had two weeks again on the Estradiol only and am almost back onto the progestogone section.

But since that time, my mood swings have gone off the scale.  My husband and I had such a massive row in the car, over directions, that I ended up getting out of the car just to get away from him.  The anxiety was so bad I had a panic attack by the side of the road, because he raised his voice at me.  Some kind Tesco delivery driver came to help me and I couldn't explain what was wrong, so he called the police!  By the time my calmer husband returned to find me and have a cuddle and apology etc., the bloody police were there.  It all got resolved quite quickly but it was such a stupid drama kicked off by me yelling over directions.

Since then, I've descended into symptoms of depression.  Crying every day, unable to cope with my husband being away on business.  Anxious over everything.  Feeling dizzy, fuzzy-headed, brain fog, hot and exhausted.  I had a telephone appointment with the practice nurse, who has now prescribed a third HRT but I can't remember what it's called.

Anyway, my question is this.  Can Femoston actually CAUSE depression?  I haven't had actual depression since my divorce.  Nothing in my life has triggered this.  My life is really nice!  I don't want to take another tablet if it's making me feel like this.  But I'm halfway through a packet and if I stop I don't know when to start the third one, or even if I want to risk it.

Any thoughts or shares would be very much appreciated. 

I have totally shared everything here - that police incident is something I haven't told anyone!

Hope to get some good sense here. 

Kathleen

Re: New member with Elleste dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 07:42:38 AM »

Hello Montyruth and welcome to the forum.

I'm not an expert on HRT unfortunately but I'm sure some knowledgeable ladies will be along soon to advise you.
From what you've told us you have yet to take the progesterone part of your HRT, is that right? If so you may be one of those women who find prog very calming.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but you are not alone.

Wishing you well.

K.

Montyruth

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »

Hi and thanks for your kind reply. 

I had the progesterone cycle for six months on Elleste and Elleste was really good.  On my first pack of Femoston I also had one cycle of progesterone.  It's only on my second pack that the problems started.  My mood,however, started to dip during the second half of the first pack of Femoston, and I feel that either Femoston doesn't work at all, or it's actually MAKING me depressed.  But I can't figure out why Elleste wouldn't make me depressed and Femoston would.  The active ingredients are literally the same. 

The GP doesn't have time for all this.  I've had a telephone appt. with the practice nurse that lasted a few minutes and nothing else since first being prescribed Elleste.  I feel like I need a personal menopause counsellor!  But I do understand how limited the NHS is currently and that they have to prioritise life threatening things.  However, it's worrying how menopause and suicide are interconnected and I feel that they bloody well should take some more time with this issue.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 08:33:04 AM »

Hi Elleste and Femoston have a different progesterone. Many ladies find the progesterone in Femoston is better but you may be the opposite and the progesterone in Elleste is better for you.

I think the oestrogen is the same in both x

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Have a look at this link. It gives you all the different hrts. Novofem is the same as Elleste Duet 1mg x
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:34:46 AM by Dotty »

Montyruth

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »

That's a really helpful link, thanks!

Tc

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 11:20:05 AM »

Monty. Just wanted to welcome you too the forum. Good to have you on board. Sorry to hear your having a rough time. Hope you find some useful advice e experience on here as I see you already have.

Keep posting and let us all know how you are x