Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Will Replens work with Ovestin?  (Read 2458 times)

Honeybean

Will Replens work with Ovestin?
« on: June 10, 2019, 05:14:35 PM »

Hi

Can I have some advice please. I've been using Ovestin for a few years and it's been working really well.

Anyway, my friend has been using Vesicare and said it was amazing for sneeze pee, millions of night pees, etc. I asked my gp if I could try it and yes it was kind of amazing but the side affects were awful so I came off it. In the meantime my gp has referred me to see the gynae team in Aug.
Anyway, since coming off the Vesicare my va symptoms are really heightened. I feel like needles in my urethra and sore thrush type symptoms. I know I don't have thrush or cystitis. I explained this to my gp and he said I should just carry on with the Ovestin and get Replens until I see the Gynae in Aug. Will the Replens work? I'm v uncomfortable  and feel a bit frustrated because I was hoping for something stronger than Ovestin. GP said he didn't want to interfere with the experts. I'm sure I sound like a wimp but Aug 12th is a long way off!!  ::)
Can you give me any advice please?
Thanks xx

Honeybean

Re: Will Replens work with Ovestin?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 05:48:37 PM »

Thanks Birdy. I will go and have a look. Xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 05:49:57 PM »

I agree with Birdy, I would use either the YES products or SYLK as ma women don't like using Replens.  I would also ask to try Vagifem instead of Ovestin - I personally found Ovestin made my urethra burn horribly and most women prefer using Vagifem.  Use the Vagifem at night and the moisturisers in the morning. The moisturiser can sometimes effect the absorption of the local oestrogen.
Avoid caffeine, fruit juices and alcohol but drink lots of water - this helps to reduce the acidity of you urine and reduce the burning.
DG x

Honeybean

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 06:13:46 PM »

Thanks DG

Tc

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:20:32 PM »

Honey.
More agreement here. I found replens horrible stuff.
It seem to "slough" the skin off so you get hideous blobs of it coming out. My vote goes to "yes". I havent tried sylk though.

I think you will find the ovestin and vagifem are as strong as local eastrogen gets these days. I'm not sure about the "ring" though.

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »

'Ovestin' can be used nightly if necessary.  How long have you been using it ..... 4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o but regular appropriate VA treatment really does keep symptoms under control.  Some ladies do require the other products too, as suggested whereas I use 'KY Jelly' on the outer labia.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:15:18 PM »

How about doing a reload with the Ovestin, ie, every night for a couple of weeks, then drop back to your normal dose? The others have given good advice, but if Ovestin has been working well for you so far, perhaps try more frequent use for a while. Failing that, you could always try Vagifem instead.

The Estring that Tc mentions has a release rate of 7.5 mcg estradiol over 24 hours. Note that it is estradiol, rather than the estriol which is in your cream. (And before anyone asks, no I don't know which is best, or even if it makes much difference!). Thus the Estring is the equivalent of about 5 Vagifem per week.

JP x

Honeybean

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »

Honey.
More agreement here. I found replens horrible stuff.
It seem to "slough" the skin off so you get hideous blobs of it coming out. My vote goes to "yes". I havent tried sylk though.

I think you will find the ovestin and vagifem are as strong as local eastrogen gets these days. I'm not sure about the "ring" though.

X
Thanks Tc

suzysunday

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 04:19:53 PM »

I used Ovestin every night for a month on gp advice to get on top of symptoms, that was after a couple of months on alternate nights. Now back to alternate nights with Boots moisturising gel the other nights.  It took a while but getting there.

Honeybean

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 04:32:23 PM »

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I'm going with the suggestion of the Yes moisturiser, and alternate with the Ovestin. The Yes stuff arrived today so fingers crossed.

I've been using Ovestin for about 3 years and it's been fine until now. I know it doesn't suit everyone but it seems ok for me. I like it because it is a cream.
I did use a pessary/tablet type of estrogen before Ovestin which I couldn't get on with. I forget what is was called. Is Vagifem a pessary or cream?

Thanks for help x

suzysunday

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 10:16:24 PM »

Vagifem is the pessary.