Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Over 65's still on HRT  (Read 2852 times)

hunkable

• First Flush
Over 65's still on HRT
« on: May 26, 2019, 08:04:40 AM »

Hi,
Any older ladies still on HRT after surgical menopause?  If so, what are you using and dosage?  I had my hysterectomy 16 years ago and I'm using Estradot 75 but I've just been told it's a rather high dose for may age (68) and I have to go down to a Estradot 50 patch.  I've just had a blood test and E2 level is 0.25.  I'm not sure if that indicates that my patch is too high a dose. Does anyone know if that is in the normal range?

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Over 65's still on HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »

Hi!  Does it work for you?  If so, why alter the dose with the risk of making you feel ill?  Speak to a Pharmacist or ask the Manufacturer for advice, GPs tend to want ladies off HRT! and one shouldn't be pushed if medication is helping.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »

75 is seen as rather high for women over 60 and it might be that if you reduce to 50 you will still remain symptom free. I'm 65 and am on Evorel 50 but didn't have a surgical menopause. I often forget to change my patch nowadays and it seems that I am ok symptom-wise by changing it once a week which would not have been possible a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure about your E2 result having never had any tests carried out.

Taz x

Saffy

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 12:23:06 AM »

Is that result pmol/L? If so then it is extremely low for someone taking HRT! Post meno levels (without HRT) are listed by my local lab as <130 pmol/L. If it's pg/ml then post meno levels (without HRT) are < 10 pg/ml.

hunkable

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 05:45:10 PM »

Thanks for your comments, ladies.  I feel very well on Estradot 75 but it would be interesting to find out how I will be on a 50 patch.  It would be a bonus if I am ok on a 50 patch.

As far as my blood test results are concerned, I will have to clarify with my GP whether it's pmol/L or pg/ml. They were done by NHS but I haven't found anything on the internet remotely like my results.  I had Estrogen blood tests many years ago and they were almost the same numbers.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 08:32:54 PM »

Let us know how you get on?

flower

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 11:21:17 AM »

Hi,
I am 62 and still on HRT. Whatever I take stops working after 2 or 3 years and so I switch back to previous one.  I have not had hysterectomy though but without HRT I sweat constantly.  ;)  (Not sure if this info is of help to you ;))

hunkable

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 03:05:40 PM »

I thought I'd let you know how I'm getting on Estradot 50 having previously been on Estradot 75.  Well, it's been 5 weeks now and I'm fine apart from a very few hot flushes.

Another reason for the reduction was that my new GP checked my BP and it was high.  I moved to a new area a year ago but my BP had always been normal when it was regularly checked by my previous GP.  I must admit I've put on a bit of weight recently which probably contributed to the rise in BP.  I've been calorie counting since February and so far I've lost almost a stone and a half and I aim to lose a good bit more so hopefully the BP will go back down. I'm doing it slowly as I think I'd give up if I felt too deprived of the occasional treat.

I also mentioned I'd had a blood test done and my estradiol level was 0.25 but I didn't know the unit of measurement.  I checked and it is 0.25 nmol which equates to 250 pmol I believe although I expect it'll go down as I'm on a lower strength patch.

bear

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 04:39:00 PM »

Hello hunkable,
Are you sure it's nmol?
Oestrogen (estradiol) is usually measured in pmol/L or pg/mL,. Progesterone, testosterone and SHBG are measured in nmol/L or ng/mL.
Bear.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:40:41 PM by bear »

Mogster71

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 04:46:25 PM »

Congratulations on the weight loss Hunkable, that's brilliant :) Keep up the good work, don't forget the odd treat of course.  Think of all the fun you'll have picking some new togs haha. X

hunkable

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 08:28:46 PM »

Bear, I asked my doctor what the unit of measurement was at my last appointment as I couldn't equate it to anything I had read on-line and she confirmed it as nmol.

Tc

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 09:11:42 PM »

Hiya. I've had several.blood tests in last9 months and it's always measured pmol
I guess different labs might vary.

bear

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 08:15:57 PM »

Bear, I asked my doctor what the unit of measurement was at my last appointment as I couldn't equate it to anything I had read on-line and she confirmed it as nmol.

That's not usual, hunkable. Do you know if you also had progesterone, testosterone or SHBG tested?
BeaR.

hunkable

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 06:38:12 AM »

No, I didn't have any of those tested. I've only ever been on an estrogen only patch after I had a hysterectomy 16 years ago.  However, I've had several blood tests done by an NHS Menopause Clinic over the years and my estrogen has generally been between 0.25 and 0.50. My GP was quite content with my level this time and I feel very well.  I was just curious as everyone else seems to use a different range of figures.

jaycee

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 08:19:42 AM »

Could it be measured differently in different countries maybe, i know  certain tests are
Pages: [1] 2