Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT and sunburn ?  (Read 9481 times)

pants46

• Still Struggling
HRT and sunburn ?
« on: May 25, 2019, 10:32:14 PM »

A quick question ... does HRT make you more sensitive to the sun, and more likely to burn ?
I was out in the garden today, but only really spent an hour in the glare of the sun from about 10am and I am quite badly burnt on my shoulders. I was wearing a vest top. I don't think I've ever burnt in the uk and certainly not when its only 22 degrees.
 :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT and sunburn ?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 07:18:38 AM »

Nowt to do with HRT.  It's HOT out there.  Add to that any breeze and the skin burns. Fast.  Also if you don't spend time out doors then the skin will be sensitive.

Drink plenty of cooled water.  Put lotion on every 20 mins., gently applied, not rubbed.

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 07:54:41 AM »

I usually tan easily and go abroad quite regularly but the few months I was on HRT patches I had to wear SF50 and keep in the shade as I was going red. There are other threads on here commenting about being more sensitive to the sun on HRT, I certainly was.

Rosie77

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 11:13:08 AM »

Hi Pants, I am on the patch I am burning quicker too and I never burn!  ...not sure if it's the patch because I just went on recently.  I also just came off of nortripyline, so I thought it could be that paired with the fact that my skin is so much thinner than it used to be.  My shins burned a couple of weeks ago and I've been itching like crazy! 

Foxylady

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 11:46:23 AM »

I would agree that on HRT burning easier!! I've had a number of skin issues, rashes, itches etc since peri so had put it down to that and long term antibiotics for skin condition.

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 12:59:27 PM »

Thanks ladies.
Rosie77, I too only went on patches recently. That's why I wasn't sure you it it was a coincidence.
Deidre, I was also a beach holiday fan, would tan gradually, being careful to use factor 30 all over. Never really had an issue in the uk.
Will have to break out the sun lotion and long sleeves whenever I do the gardening this summer  :(
xxx
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 04:01:31 PM by pants46 »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »

Find a handsome person to slar you with lotion ;-).  What is in HRT that would make any difference, it is 'replacement' to what your body would have made for years++. 

When I had radiation treatment I was advised to keep out of the sun for about 12 months, also Dad had a certain anti-depressant which reacted to the sun and was also advised to avoid sunshine. 

Sunny Days

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 07:28:05 AM »

Hi I am a  newbie and yes I am unable to sit in the sun, I have never had this problem before, it started in the glorious sun this Easter, I carry a hat with me and have to pop it on as my scalp is too sensitive, it is 08.17 and the sun is wonderful, just sat in the sun for 5 minutes and it is too uncomfortable on my skin, incidentally I am off work sick today with menopause and my 'sick head' every month at the same time. I am not on the patches, I am on Estradiol and Utrogestan. Will be posting on the New Member section shortly.

Spangles

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 05:46:37 AM »

Yes, I definitely burn since being on hot, never burnt before always tanned.

Spangles

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 06:26:26 AM »

I don't peel either, my skin just goes like flaky pastry, a bit like a reptile ;D

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 03:47:56 PM »

Welcome Sunny Days >wave<

When Dad had specific ADs he couldn't sit in the sun and when I had radiation treatment I was advised to avoid i.t

Cacarosa

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »

To my knowledge, BCP can cause cloasma if you expose your skin to the sun. Know some women who have this kind of cloasma caused by BCP, and once you get it it's almost impossible to clear it. I'm on Qlaira BCP and my GP adviced to always use a sunscreen. Since Qlaira is very similar to HRT in many ways, if I were you I'd avoid going out in the sun without sunscreen.
By the way, I have used sunscreen daily, even in winter, even when rainy, since I was 30. I'm paler than Casper the Ghost and always get unasked advices about how much better I would look with a little tan. Thanks, but no thanks. I look ten years younger than my old school mates that fried themselves in the sun for years, almost no wrinkles and not one spot.
I'd rather get my tans from a tube and my vitamin D from a pill :)

Weird that we pale Europeans want to be brown but my Mexican and Peruvian friends who are  naturally tan want to be paler. Humans are weird.

Tc

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 01:42:48 PM »

I have worn factor 50 on my face and chest area since I had shingles on my face in my 20s. I use 30 everywhere else but in strong sun I use 50 all over and like cacarosa any tan comes from a bottle.

I've used every cream going. Pants. I can highly recommend ultra sun sensitive. I use it face and body. You only need to apply it once. I was sceptical about not topping up but I've never burnt with it. The beauty of it is you dont get that hideous white film so make up goes on realy well over it. It's the least fuss cream I've ever used.

Keeping my face protected from such a young age meant even in my mid 40s I had very few wrinkles. But grief , stress and menopause  have put paid to that now.  :-\

Cacarosa

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »

Why don't you try tretinoin? It stimulates collagen production and thickens the skin. I think its the most effective anti aging cream in the world. I use Retirides 0,025 and its very effective even erases some small wrinkles