Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Green vaginal discharge  (Read 9896 times)

Lanie66

Green vaginal discharge
« on: May 24, 2019, 11:23:46 PM »

Hi everyone

I'm worried about a green vaginal discharge I have had for 3 weeks now. 

I am 52 and 1 year without a period so just into menopause I suppose.   I don't take HRT just supplements like evening primrose,  multivits and ginger tablets.  So far I've been lucky, just sweats, chills and various aches and pains, palpitations and a breathless feeling.  I am otherwise well.

The discharge is a light olive green with no smell.  I've had a swab sent away which came back clean of infections.   I have no discernable irritation locally but I find I sweat a lot down there atm which sometimes leads to discomfort.

I'm worried what it could be in the absence of infection and wondered if anyone else has experienced this.  I've read that sometimes supplements can cause this, the only new one I'm taking is the ginger unless the others are affected by changing hormones etc.  The multivits make my wee bright yellow but they have done for years.  I've also read one article suggesting more sinister causes, hence my concern.

There is no chance of it being a STD.  Also the last time my husband and I had sex it was a little uncomfortable inside and we had to stop.  I've decided to go back to the GP next week but in the meantime any help/advice would be gratefully received, thank you.

Lanie

Lanie66

Re: Green vaginal discharge
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 12:04:34 AM »

Thanks very much annamuller interesting article.  Mind put at rest a little.  Interesting also when they talk about certain foodstuffs too.......ive8 een eating a lot of homegrown mizuna and lettuce recently  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 08:09:05 AM »

What's mizuna when it's up and dressed.  Is the discharge from the vagina and why would foodstuffs affect that area? 

Lanie66

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 09:06:27 AM »

Hi CKLD mizuna is like rocket.  Somewhere I read that your diet can have an affect on the vaginal discharge and the article link above supports that with the suggestion that supplements also can.  Going to stop the supplements for a week see if any effect

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »

If no other reason found then it could also be the start of vaginal atrophy.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:32:43 PM »

How can a non-part of the digestive tract be affected by what we eat?  Unless when wiping any discharge is passed into the vagina? 

Lanie66

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 01:55:50 PM »

Oh no maryjane I hope not but thanks for the heads up.  Thought it wasn't that bad so far........ :o

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »

Green vaginal discharge is considered abnormal discharge.

As soon as you notice green discharge, especially if it is frothy, clumpy, or mucus-like and has a bad odor, contact your doctor.

It may be a sign of a sexually transmitted infection or an infection called bacterial vaginosis.   22 Jan 2019

from flo.discharge [USA]

Bacterial vaginosis

Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is an infection caused by an imbalance in “good” and “bad” bacteria in the vagina. BV is not an STI, and often the cause of the infection is Gardnerella vaginitis.

Factors that may increase the risk of developing BV include having a new sexual partner, having multiple sexual partners, douching, smoking, and having a general lack of “good” bacteria.

Common symptoms of bacterial vaginosis include:

Vaginal itching
No inflammation
Thin, white discharge
Burning during urination
Grey, yellow, or green vaginal discharge
Foul-smelling “fishy” vaginal odor.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 02:34:20 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »

I am not suggesting a STI but this is the advice re green discharge -

NHS - vaginal discharge

Trichomoniasis

Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by a tiny parasite called Trichomonas vaginalis (TV).

Symptoms of trichomoniasis usually develop within a month of infection. However, up to half of all men and women infected with trichomoniasis won't develop any symptoms (though they can still pass the infection onto others).

The symptoms of trichomoniasis are similar to those of many other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) so it can sometimes be difficult to diagnose.

Discharge is green.

Advice: Contact a GUM clinic
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 04:04:11 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »

Ask your GP for vaginal atrophy treatment.  Do read the threads here and make notes  ;)

Green discharge from any bodily orifice is abnormal .

Lanie66

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 05:48:47 PM »

Thanks CKLD I've googled all the above.  As I said not possible it's an STI, nor infection, hence asking if anyone had experienced it on this forum. I will return to the GP

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 07:52:46 PM »

Will you let us know?  I'm intrigued as everywhere I read 'green' is not good ;-).

Also, maybe cut out certain foods that may affect urine influence. 

Lanie66

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 07:54:05 PM »

Update:  been back to GP or should I say nurse practitioner as we have a dirth of GPs where I live!  Anyway she's stumped and has again recommended treatment for thrush by way of a fluconazole tablet in the meantime for both me and hubby. I used a canesten pessary last week with no affect.

Nice as she is she didnt want to listen to my defence that neither me nor hubby has been unfaithful in 21 years and recommends I/we visit the local sexual health clinic to look for an STI or perhaps a dormant STI. Hubby's not up for that but in his defence we haven't had full sex since I've had the discharge.

I had a blood test, came back good so nothing untoward there but it was just a broad one.

I've been googling and found a paper about a particular STD, Trich, which they've discovered could be transmitted non-venearally and present in older menopausal women due to the effect of low oestrogen levels on vaginal health.  For this reason I will get an appointment at the SH clinic, if for no other reason than to rule trich out.

I'll keep you posted.  Its really beginning to  irritate me and make me feel unclean.

Maryjane

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 06:23:26 AM »

If all clear I would definitely want to trial local oestrogen for 3 plus months, as said I no ladies ( myself included) that it proved to be a sign of vaginal atrophy.

Lanie66

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 08:05:21 AM »

I mentioned VA to her but she didn't expand.  So maybe I'll go to a different doctor before the SH clinic. Thanks Maryjane
Pages: [1] 2