Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: A little confused  (Read 1294 times)

AndieM

A little confused
« on: May 22, 2019, 07:21:53 PM »

Hi...
I posted a couple of years ago when I first started getting peri menopausal symptoms and decided to go down the herbal route.
The last 6 months all symptoms have been getting worse ie flushes, night sweats, brain fog, rage! Aches and pains, tiredness etc.
I saw the doctor today and she agreed to give me a prescription of Oestrogel and Utrogestan.
We had a bit of a discussion on how to use the Utrogestan caspsules, so she said there are two choices,

1. 200mg once daily on days 15-26 of each 28 day oestrogen HRT cycle

2. 100mg once daily on1-25 of each 28 day oestrogen HRT cycle

She also said I had to take them orally after I mentioned that I had read you can take them vaginally.

She did say there are pessaries you can take but can't prescribe them as they cost too much.

My question is, which regiment shall I take and do I wait until I get my next period until I start( I'm on day 9 of my cycle).
Oh I forgot I'm  48 and still having regular periods 21-25 day cycles, used to be 30+.
Sorry for such a long post  :)

Dotty

Re: A little confused
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »

Hi if you are peri menopause then you take them as option 1...200mg on days 15 - 26. X

AndieM

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »

Hi... that's what I said but the doctor said I could choose either?

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 07:40:52 PM »

Hi there is no harm in using it either way but if you are peri menopause the likelihood is that you will get breakthrough bleeding if you take in continuously x

AndieM

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 08:09:07 PM »

Thanks Dotty
I did mention that to the doctor and she said that the both options were for ladies still having periods!
I'll be doing the 1st option  :)
Also should I wait until my next period to start taking HRT? X

Lanzalover

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 05:49:51 AM »

Good morning AndieM

My understanding is option 2 is for ladies post memo in view of your age and the fact you are still having periods I would go with option 1.
I would start when you next have a period.

Lanzalover x

NorthArm

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 07:20:28 AM »

Hi AndieM

I agree with the others, option 1, and start the oestrogen when you next start your period.

Give it a few months to kick in, you might find you have some breakthrough bleeding (your own cycle over riding a bit) during the Utrogestan part.

Also, if you're taking anything herbal meno remedies, or anything with black cohosh or St. John's wort, eg Promensil, Femular, Remifemin etc, that these are contraindicated for use with hrt - they cancel each other out xx

AndieM

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »

Thanks ladies  :)