Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Venlaflaxine any good for brain fog do we know?  (Read 2539 times)

Aggie

Venlaflaxine any good for brain fog do we know?
« on: May 21, 2019, 09:48:07 PM »

Hi Everyone - not been on here for ages although I didn't have to log in so probably been logged on for the last 2 years lol.   ;D.  Not got the mental energy to type a full explanation but does anyone have any experience of taking venlaflaxine on it's own?  Did my old trick of reading the instruction leaflet and it totally put me off.  GP also said the first two weeks on it can be horrid.  What can you tell me about it?  Is it worth getting through the first two weeks? 

friend of lhasa apso

Re: Venlaflaxine any good for brain fog do we know?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 12:32:53 AM »

Hi not sure about the brain fog ,but citalopram has helped me with anxiety and depression.
        There's a type of anti depressant which is supposed to help with hot flushes but I can't remember the name sorry .
         Do you think you are depressed ?or are your symptoms due to menopause?

Aggie

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »

Hi friend of Ihasa apso - thanks for the reply - no not really depressed as such - my main psychological symptoms from menopause are brain fog and feeling angry and impatient all the time, which is not an attractive quality and certainly not me.  I can't have HRT (long story) and don't really want to take an antidepressant.  I'm glad you have found some relief from using Citalopram.  It's great when something does actually work isn't it. 

Beaker

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:13:39 AM »

Hi Aggie,

if you go to the top of this page and click on Treatments, then go down and click on "Prescribable Non-HRT" you'll find some non-antidepressant options such as Clonidine or Gabapentin.  I notice that Venlafaxine is mentioned under SSRI drugs. 

Best of luck.

Rosie77

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:15:03 PM »

Hi Aggie, I have a prescription for this too for help with vestibular migraine.  I too am petrified.  I have never tried an SNRI before.  I have it in extended release tablet form 37.5...the pharmacist told me it is ok to cut and start smaller dose.  I think I am planning on trying once my kids are out of school and I don't have to drive.  Just came off of nortripyline.  I asked my obgyn about venlaflaxine...she was not who prescribed it for me, but said it is a really good one for meno anxiety, panic, hot flashes. Best of luck whatever you decide.   :)

Aggie

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 07:47:02 PM »

Hi Beaker - thank you - I always forget to look in the files (forget blimin everything tbh) I will go there after I've written this.

Hi Rosie - I hear you.  There is never a right time to try something that might send you off in the wrong direction until you get used to it, is there.  I've had the venlaflaxine in the cupboard for ages and keep putting off the start - my doc told me to ‘persevere with it' for at least two weeks, which didn't bode well.  The main side effect I would be looking to avoid is feeling sick -  don't get on very well with that (well, who does lol).  I've been angry for absolutely no reason for the last couple of years which I'm just doing my best to contain, but think I might be on the start of flushes so I might just have to bite the bullet and try.  Hope you get on alright with it too when you give it a go.  Let me know how you go.

Kazzyp

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 11:53:09 AM »

Hi Everyone,
I too have a pack of Venlefaxine that was prescribed for me yesterday after visiting the gp for an hrt review. I thought I was just going get my dosage upped because I've had irregular bleeding, feeling down & migraines increased over last month, but he said I had to come off if it due to stroke risk!! I was gutted  :'( Has given me the venlefaxine to help with hot flushes & anxiety, but I don't want to take it at all.
The thought of summer with sleepless nights, bleeding all over the place & exhaustion again depresses the heck out of me after I've had 12 months of bliss on hrt patches.
And as for the brain fog!!!  :-\

racjen

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »

Venlafaxine is the particular AD that's supposed to help with hot flushes. I haven't tried it because they're not a particular problem for me. Unfortunately for some people the start-up period with ADs is pretty crap and it can be up to a couple of weeks - that isn't always the case though, some people get onto them with pretty much no side-effects whatsoever. You can only know by trying. And I know what you mean about reading the info in the box - I've given up doing that, it's just too scary but bear in mind that most people won't suffer any of those effects, the manufacturers just have to cover their backs.

Aggie

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 08:13:32 PM »

Hi Kazzyp - yeah the Venlaflaxine feels like a poor substitute doesn't it.  What a shame you had to come off especially when it's been so helpful for you.  I don't want to take the V either but, I think as Racjen has said - maybe reading the leaflet isn't always the best plan, as everything mentioned are worst case scenarios and doesn't effect everyone.  Think I'm gonna give up reading leaflets too but always do as it flippen well tells you to lol  ;D

Kazzyp

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 08:31:12 PM »

Hi Aggie, I guess we'd better just give it a go & hope it does the trick. Good luck! 😉

Aggie

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »

Kazzyp - yes we should give it a go - but you first LOL.  I have a busy June and I need to be at the top of my game (wishful thinking  ;D) so it will be July for me.  Great to hear how you find it.  (And interested to hear anyone else's experiences too)

Butterfly22

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »

Hi ladies, I don't want to sound doom and gloom but I take venlafaxine for depression and they are great but horrendous to come off. I took citalapram for 15 years and stopped working so tried everything and ended up on venlafaxine. I had to take the highest dose I could get of the doctors and forgot to take one after being on them a few months.
Well let's just say I felt like what it must be to come off drugs. Every step I took I had brain zaps, migraine, weird dreams, woke shivering but drenched, I was so worried as was not aware I had missed one and as soon as I took one I was fine.
I looked further into it and lots of support groups about  coming off them.
I don't want to scare you ladies but please be aware what your taking as these are very hard to get off. Even support groups on Facebook but google venlafaxine and withdrawal Xx
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 07:40:50 PM by Butterfly22 »

Aggie

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »

Hi Butterfly - thanks for your input. I think it's another thing I had read but not fully taken on board.  Well it would have to be bloody well worth it - potentially two weeks of getting used to it and then living with the fear of what happens when you decide to come off.   I try to avoid medication if I can anyway so maybe I will just carry on suffering and chuck them in the bin.  I can suffer the sweats and a lot of the other symptoms but really struggle with the brain fog, doggy memory etc.  Thanks again for the heads up.

Butterfly22

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 08:36:57 AM »

Maybe you could try something else? As this is one of the worst to come off, they are not all this bad. I've not looked to far into taking ADs for flushes as I do take HRT as well. Have you tried sage? I no a few ladies that it's helped xx

kdee69

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 08:42:49 AM »

Hi ladies, I don't want to sound doom and gloom but I take venlafaxine for depression and they are great but horrendous to come off. I took citalapram for 15 years and stopped working so tried everything and ended up on venlafaxine. I had to take the highest dose I could get of the doctors and forgot to take one after being on them a few months.
Well let's just say I felt like what it must be to come off drugs. Every step I took I had brain zaps, migraine, weird dreams, woke shivering but drenched, I was so worried as was not aware I had missed one and as soon as I took one I was fine.
I looked further into it and lots of support groups about  coming off them.
I don't want to scare you ladies but please be aware what your taking as these are very hard to get off. Even support groups on Facebook but google venlafaxine and withdrawal Xx

Hi. I was on Venlafaxine for post natal depression many years ago after I'd had my twins. Whilst they worked, I had been almost manic and they calmed me RIGHT DOWN,  I did feel like a zombie. Anyway, in relation to coming off them, I'd also read the horror stories so tapered off over months. And I mean months! I seem to remember mine were capsules with little beads in and I literally measured them out ( roughly obviously) when I got down to one tablet every other day and then half of that every other day and then every third day etc. I didn't experience the withdrawal doing it this way.
Pages: [1] 2