Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Chelsea Flower Show - discuss  (Read 3844 times)

katsclaws

Re: Chelsea Flower Show - discuss
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 08:58:51 AM »

Our local Garden Centre has also morphed into a shop that sells clothes, games etc. Years ago we could get our lawn mower repaired there or buy spare parts. We have a huge fruit and vegetable garden and this year we have found it more difficult to get vegetable plants although we do grow from seed as well. Our fruit and vegetable garden is fenced off from the dogs but we have a 9 week old puppy who has damaged a lot of the more delicate flowers in the garden. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 04:02:33 PM »

Oh a puppy - we have a dog thread ;-) do tell  ;D

Most of our centres are 'shops' ...... with a few plants.  I saw a double trailer lorry from Belgium in our local centre today  ::) and I bought a plant at Pensthrope - lemon like a butter cup.  Give it a try ;-)

Krystal

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 07:32:01 PM »

Totally agree large 'garden centres' are glorified franchises with concessions in them selling everything except reasonably priced plants and garden tools. A couple of years ago we wanted to buy an electric garden rake (scarifier) in the month of April. springtime when you would expect this to be in stock. There were no mowers or lawn tools on display. On asking about this at customer service we were told there were none on display, yes we knew that, did they have any? A blank response and we walked out of the store, passing areas of the store selling scented candles, crafting materials, clothes, and shoes. From that day on we called it the gift shop ;D

I agree with other posts that it is important to maintain the UK horticultural industry. Over the years we have created many gardens from scratch as we have moved several time. Whilst making a new garden from nothing we have bought many expensive plants and many cheap plants through mail order and local purchases. Some have survived and some not, but what we have found is that local plant sales at local bazars have provided us with the strongest, most healthy plants and shrubs as they are usually local to the area. These plants always survive and do not cost ridiculous amounts of money.

I have never been to the Chelsea Flower Show, but I do know people who have exhibited at this venue and they feel it is an important event to promote horticulture, gardening and the UK.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 08:12:31 PM »

Watching Chelsea earlier I now want to dash home and move pots around to make room for more hostas  ;D a plant I didn't like until I had a freebie which I stuck in a corner and fell in love ........ I know that any 'empty' pots in Jan/Feb. will have a hosta in it  ;)

Astrantia took my eye ....... so those are in pots so that they don't disappear and/or get dug up.  I planted two small comfy plants last year, crikey: they disappeared but have come up HUGE and 1 will require moving later this year.  I have never enough room in our garden when I see something new  ;D

CLKD

2021/22 Chelsea Flower Show - discuss
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 07:57:34 PM »

So we are in the 1st week of COPS26.  With all the talk of how to save the Planet.

I have said for many years that all those that take part in the above and similar, should grow their own plants.  Not import at great expense, time and energy from Italy and beyond.  We get told to 'save' then these shows take place - none of it is real.  Plants don't all flower at the same time, they have likes and dislikes.  None of the plants that I have bought over the years for 'shaded areas' have thrived; moved into sunny spots and they bed in.  Several of my plants have been moved several times  ::).

Not many trees are native to the UK, nor species of deer.  How far back the public goes in order to be 'natural' remains to be seen.  Of course, with climate change forecast we are being told to buy more Mediterraen  plants as they are more likely to survive as Summers become warmer.  However, they won't do 'well' in our longer wet Winters  ::).  I have trouble enough putting tender plants under cover as it is.
Pages: 1 [2]