Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT approval finally!  (Read 954 times)

Nas

HRT approval finally!
« on: May 20, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »

Hello all,
I posted a while ago, re: peri menopausal symptoms and a breast cancer diagnosis a decade ago. I have since seen the oncologist and he has said that if I want to try HRT, so be it on my shoulders. He said that my risk of recurrance increases as time goes by and does not decrease (I still don't understand that) and that HRT may trigger dormant cells, but again he cannot say for sure.

Anyway, he says if I want to go ahead, then to try either transdermal or oral oestrogen with Utogestan as the entometrial sparing progesterone preparation. What is that exactly? I have a GP appt on Friday to hopefully get a prescription. Will the GP determine the dose or is there a standard dose?

Thanks and sorry for being thick when it comes to this stuff!

Nas

MicheleMaBelle

Re: HRT approval finally!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 04:33:13 PM »

Hi Nas- best thing I can suggest is to have a look at the tab on HRT preparations on this site. I'd certainly go down the transdermal route for oestrogen is a patch or Oestrogel. Re progesterone I'd be inclined to ask for Utrogestan and maybe consider taking it vaginally. It's the only body identical one out there and some research is showing that it carries a decreased risk of certain breast cancers occurring although I don't think this has been conclusively proven.

I would caution you though that it can be trialand error before you find something that works for you and not every woman gets on with HRT.
Good luck, keep posting questions and let us know how you get on x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 06:06:00 PM »

No one is thick on here  ;)

'on your head be it' - well if treatment is that dangerous then women should be offered double mastectomy, surely?  Quality of Life is important and if HRT gives that, then go for it.

I was never told that there was a risk of further breast disease!  That was the point of surgery and radiation treatment  ::) - that was in 1996 .........

Something might take U off the mortal coil B4 HRT triggers disease  ::) but unless women take the chance no one will know exactly!!

Nas

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »

Thanks both of you :)
My appointment is Friday but I am still unsure what I am meant to be asking for? Will GP know or recommend? Just heading over to HRT preparations now...

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »

Hi nas- you can ask for estraderm/ estradot patches or Oestrogel. For the progesterone part, ask for Utrogestan or micronised progesterone.
Be very definite that you want transdermal oestrogen, not tablets. They'll probably start you on the lowest possible dose to see how you go. They should have prescribing guidelines but let us know how you get on x