Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause? And alternative therapies.  (Read 1046 times)

Balance

Perimenopause? And alternative therapies.
« on: May 13, 2019, 01:30:44 PM »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and apologies if posting in the wrong section.

I've diagnosed myself (based on research and symptoms) being in the perimenopause about 10 years ago - I'm now mid 40's. The GP and gynaecologist however say my hormone levels are normal, though state perimenopause is a clinical diagnose and cannot be measured (?).

Recently symptoms escalated and I suffer from;
- Extreme tiredness
- Itchy skin
- Pain in muscles and joints
- Pins and needles left hand and right shoulder
- Anxiety
- Frequent toilet visits

I live quite healthy and I've started acupuncture alongside yoga and Tai Chi which I've been doing for several years.

I wondered if anyone has/had similar symptoms and what they do/have done to reduce them. I prefer the natural way of dealing with this quite intense phase.

Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perimenopause? And alternative therapies.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 04:52:52 PM »

Menopause is natural but symptoms can take over.

If you are in your mid-40s then you may well need to protect your bones and heart.  Good weight bearing exercise is important as is eating plenty of fresh fruits/veg., getting fresh air and sleep - though that can be difficult  ::).

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: Skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina [do read our threads about this one] .... a good quality hand cream can ease any itchiness: DH uses Nivea on his legs nightly and I find that the Vaseline in the yellow bottle good enough.  As well, muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  An over-the-counter pain relief will help.

VA is treated by appropriate HRT - there isn't much that will help although 'sylc' and 'yes' products can be used along side.  Frequent toilet visits to pee? in which case, get some VA treatment ASAP.  Either Vagifem or Ovestin from your GP - used nightly for 2 weeks and then as necessary though the advice is every 3rd and 6/7th nights.  Some find that they need nightly use, others alternative nights ......

Let us know how you get on!

Balance

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:04:28 PM »

Thank you both for your replies.

@ Sparkle; I will search in the Alternative section.

@ CLKD; What do DH and VA stand for?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:07:02 PM »

So sorry  :-[

DH - dear husband

VA - vaginal atrophy

DGD - dear grand daughter

HRT - hormone replacement therapy - many forget the word 'replacement'  ;)

IBS - irritable bowel syndrome

We have threads on absolutely everything here  ::)

Foxylady

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 05:40:09 PM »

Hi Balance, I am also perimenopause (have been for the last 3 years, now aged 41yrs), I have tried numerous things to try and ease the symptoms. My biggest issue has been/is sleep so everything I've tried is for the aim of sleeping. Currently I am on Fluoxetine (prescribed by GP for flushes but has also helped my mood which has been 'flat'), on Everol sequi 50 HRT patches (my 9th week), I take Magnesium 300mg and vitamin D at night. I also take probiotics for stomach problems (IBS and reflux). Recently been reading up on diet/exercise and how weight loss can greatly reduce flushes and therefore aid sleep (I've lost 19lb on the fast 5:2 diet) go to pilates class. Started Alpro soya yoghurt with flaxseed mixed in as they are phytoestrogens. Also using Menomagic cream. For my skin problems (rashes and itch) I use Dermol 500 it has made a big difference, gutted cause its not as enjoyable as a Molton Brown bath or shower ;D!! It might be worth looking up Rockmymenopause & printing off the my menopause diary sheets makes it easy to keep a record of your symptoms and you can see if there is any pattern.