Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Why is Vagifem more popular than Estring?  (Read 2246 times)

Sheanie

Why is Vagifem more popular than Estring?
« on: May 08, 2019, 04:49:57 PM »

I was using Vagifem for a while but, honestly, I just didn't like throwing 2-3 blue plastic applicators out every week; imagine the mountain of blue after 5,10,20,30... years of the stuff. So I swopped to Estring, which is one silicone (I think) ring to ditch every three months. As far as I'm aware, from the research I've read, both are equally effective in terms of treating VA and neither have an effect on endometrial lining buildup as they both act locally, and I would hazard a guess that Estring might be cheaper for the NHS. So why do GPs prescribe and women use Vagifem rather than Estring? The ring delivers 7.5mcg of oestradiol per day, so about 50mcg per week, which GPs may feel is too high, but many women are using more than the two Vagifem usually prescribed and Estring has not been shown to have a worse effect on the endometrium than two Vagifem a week.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:54:23 AM by Sheanie »

Robin

Re: Why is Vagifem more popular than Estring?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 06:20:08 PM »

My doctor didn't know anything about it. I had to ask several times as I can't use the creams but was eventually able to try it.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:00:47 AM »

I agree with the others that doctors don't know about it. I have an Estring but need Vagifem as well. The Estring sits high up in the vagina and doesn't seem to me to be effective for vulval soreness. I use Vagifem as well, inserted low down, as I am unable to use the creams. I have to visit the GP to get the old Estring out as I am unable to do it myself, although as far as I know many users don't have this problem.

JP x

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 06:11:57 AM »

I would much prefer to use something like the Estring but I have a prolapse, the thing would spend more time out of me than in x

Beaker

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 08:07:46 AM »

I totally agree with you about the waste, Sheanie.  But as Joaniepat mentions, something that is inserted so high in your vagina might not be effective for vulval soreness.  I like the fact that I can insert Vagifem lower down for that reason.  But (a bit like asthma inhalers) the Vagifem involves a disgraceful amount of plastic waste being added to existing landfill.

Sheanie

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 08:22:20 AM »

Perhaps we need to petition the makers of Vagifem to make the product more eco-friendly? Surely one applicator that you insert the tablet in yourself would work.

I wonder if GPs don't recommend Estring because they think they would always have to remove it and that would, of course, mean more pressure on them re appointments. There's a shortage of GPs in the UK at present, apparently, and hence a shortage of appointments.

Just about to send an email to Novo Nordisk Ltd.....

Sheanie

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »

Yes, possibly. I've written.... Will post the reply here.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »

It has never been suggested to me to try the Estring, I have to say I am not keen as I tried a contraceptive cap many moons ago and struggled to use it, so would be worried I would have issues with that.
Also since inserting Vagifem lower down I have had a further improvement of my VA.
I have had the Vagifem pessary fall out of the applicator a couple of times and it easily pushes back in so not sure why they can't design a reusable one and the pessaries in a blister pack.

Sheanie

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 07:52:32 AM »

No reply from customer care at Novo Nordisk to my email of 7 days ago. I guess they don't have an environmental policy.  :( They make the only vaginal pessary available. So, I guess they don't need to care..... Makes me even less inclined to use Vagifem! I've sent a prompt email.....

Robin

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 08:51:21 AM »

I insert and remove my estring and don't push it right up high. I try to keep it as low as possible. I also use vagifem inserted very low close to my worst external area and it's really helping

Lanzalover

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »

I'm just trying Estring for the first time the instruction leaflet says it should be in the top third of the vagina and I found that difficult at first as my fingers just can't push it that far easily also I don't have great grip in fingers I certainly didn't find it soft and easy to grip I though it was rather hard and inflexible but after lots of practice and different positions i did eventually mange it.

It gave me stomach ache when I first used it so after about four days I decided it wasn't for me and removed it. I did however wash it and put it away a few days later I decided the thing wasn't going to beat me and inserted it again and so far so good things are definitely much more lubricated (sorry tmi)
I do however take it out for intercourse as I have a fear it may be felt by DH or worse still ended up on the end of his you know what 😂.

The only downside is I have definitely put on weight while using it but I'll carry on for now.

Lanzalover x

Robin

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 01:40:16 PM »

It does say the top 1/3 but I find it uncomfortable pressure wise there and also my worst symptoms are lower down and external. I'm unable to use the creams for the external parts so decided to try using it lower.  It's definitely an improvement for me but I think like most menopause treatments it's trial and error and what works for one doesn't for another. If it does work it's way too high I have a bit of trouble removing it

Lanzalover

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 03:41:02 PM »

Just goes to show we're all different as if mine is to low I am aware it's there and it feels uncomfortable
but as you say it can be an effort to get it out. I have had a few moments when I couldn't reach it but I have now found squatting seems to make withdrawal easier.
By comparison vagifem is a doddle but I'm going to try and stick out for the 3 months.

Lanzalover x