Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Replens (or Sylk) - bad reaction - advice?  (Read 1903 times)

Catcc

Replens (or Sylk) - bad reaction - advice?
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:03:21 AM »

Hi
I've been using Vagifem for 5 weeks mostly to help stop the constant need to go to the toilet.   It has helped enormously, but then on Saturday night for some strange reason (just after using Vagifem) I had setback and  I must have gone to the toilet 10 times.  No sleep at all that night.  Maybe it was just a blip and the Vagifem will continue to improve things - it's still early days.  Frequency has improved since Saturday - still not ideal but nowhere near like Saturday night.

However, in desperation, during that sleepless night I thought it might help to use the Replens the doctor had given me.  I hadn't used it before now as I was wary of it (since the menopause I am sensitive to a lot of skincare etc).  Anyway, it had been sitting in bedside cabinet and so I used it.  I think it was a massive mistake though.  Yesterday I started to sting and burn.  And it continued to get worse last night - another night of not much sleep. 

Has anyone had a reaction like this?  And if so, how long does it take to settle?  I took an antihistamine.

The only other confusing issue, is that I also had a sachet Sylk (free sample) in my drawer and I dabbed that on the outside bits just after using the Replens.  So it could be a reaction to the Sylk.  Anyone had that?

We go on holiday next week - hoping this settles before then.  Hoping also the urinary frequency calms down as the holiday

Thanks so much!!

Catcc

Re: Replens (or Sylk) - bad reaction - advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 09:40:49 AM »

Thanks Birdy

The Replens is well and truly dumped already!! :-)  I was wary of it, but in a moment of desperation stupidly used it.

I'm assuming the irritation will subside soon?

:-)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:01:26 AM »

I used Replens in the early days of VA, awful stuff, i can't use the Sylk either as it irritates me, yet every one else raves on about it!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:03:01 AM »

How often  are you using the Vagifem.
As you are now sore, just wash in warm plain water and don't try anything else until it's calmed down.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:10:12 AM by Tinkerbell »

Catcc

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 11:05:27 AM »

Hi Tinkerbell

Thanks.  I never normally use 2 new things at the same time just in case (I seem to be allergic to so many things since the menopause).  Shows how desperate I was to use both Replens and Sylk having never used either before.  Bad move :-)

I've just showered using only hot water.  Wondering if my shampoo has irritated things recently too.  Used it for ages but I'm not so sure anymore if it's OK.

I did the 2 week load of vagifem and am now on twice a week (have been on twice a week for last 3 weeks).  It seems to be helping in terms of urinary frequency, so I don't know what went wrong on Saturday night.  I had just inserted a vagifem which is odd, as I haven't had any adverse reaction to the vagifem in the five weeks I've been using it, and am really hoping I don't ever do, as I need it :-)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »

Lots of bicarb of soda in a cool bath, sit for 10 mins. then pat dry.  Use the Vagifem every night until symptoms ease, particularly if you are going on holiday [we have a thread about that too ;p)] and take pain relief every 4 hours for 2 days.  Drink plenty as when the kidneys have to work harder you will pee more!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 12:03:49 PM »

I would up your dose, I have never managed on twice a week, also when my VA started I stopped washing my hair in the shower.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 12:26:55 PM »

Hi
I've been using Vagifem for 5 weeks mostly to help stop the constant need to go to the toilet.   It has helped enormously, but then on Saturday night for some strange reason (just after using Vagifem) I had setback and  I must have gone to the toilet 10 times.  No sleep at all that night.  Maybe it was just a blip and the Vagifem will continue to improve things - it's still early days.  Frequency has improved since Saturday - still not ideal but nowhere near like Saturday night.

However, in desperation, during that sleepless night I thought it might help to use the Replens the doctor had given me.  I hadn't used it before now as I was wary of it (since the menopause I am sensitive to a lot of skincare etc).  Anyway, it had been sitting in bedside cabinet and so I used it.  I think it was a massive mistake though.  Yesterday I started to sting and burn.  And it continued to get worse last night - another night of not much sleep. 

Has anyone had a reaction like this?  And if so, how long does it take to settle?  I took an antihistamine.

The only other confusing issue, is that I also had a sachet Sylk (free sample) in my drawer and I dabbed that on the outside bits just after using the Replens.  So it could be a reaction to the Sylk.  Anyone had that?

We go on holiday next week - hoping this settles before then.  Hoping also the urinary frequency calms down as the holiday

Thanks so much!!
I started using Vagifem last september with the initial aim of avoiding UTI's. However a by product of Vagifem was that I started sleeping better due to fewer loo trips during the night. Many nights I sleep right through now or only need to go once. However I can still get flare ups as I did last week. Try using Vagifem more frequently and also taking an ibuprofen/drinking a small teaspoon of bicarb of soda dissolved in water. That has worked well for me and I am back to normal without the need for an AB. I slept right through until 7.30am this morning.

I can't comment on Replens or Sylk because I haven't tried either.

Catcc

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 05:24:40 PM »

Thank you all so so much!!!  I'll take all of that on board.  Luckily, I've got a big tub of bicarbonate of soda in the kitchen.

By pure chance I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow (made it 3 weeks ago for something completely different).  I'm going to ask her to check it all out.  I feel like I have thrush too.

Not enjoying this menopause thing at all :-)   Feel like I've aged 10 years virtually overnight.