Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Peri or meno  (Read 1090 times)

kdee69

Peri or meno
« on: April 16, 2019, 05:22:22 AM »

Firstly, I can't really articulate the gratitude I have for the people who answer in these threads. I'm UK based and ALL my info about my own symptoms has come from here. So thank you.

I have a question that leads on from previous threads.
Since I became definitely Peri at around 51 I took elleste duet which gave me a monthly bleed. I had previously been having periods but had started with sweats and a whole host of other symptoms.
I took this ( loved it) for two years but my migraines were off the scale.
I, after much persuasion from my doctor ( :'() came off the HRT -her rationale was that I'd probably “ gone through the menopause anyway) and then had the most insufferable, miserable 9 months of my life in living memory. Sweats, anxiety, mania, hot flashes, brain fog so bad I couldn't even remember who I was let alone where I lived! ( obviously a slight exaggeration the last one but you get my point). But it was the migraines -omg! 4/7 days every week!  Thanks to this forum and other web pages, I found that it may be worth giving transdermal gel 0.06% and Utrogestan 100 a try.
I could actually cry with how amazing I feel after literally two weeks on this. I feel...normal again. Even the dogs are no longer avoiding me plus all my meno symptoms are gone ( did I say all-yes ALL) and I've had one migraine in 14 days ...and counting!
I'm 54 now and I suppose as I've been on elleste since 51 and it caused a bleed regardless, I don't know whether I'm truly meno or still peri. When I was off for the 9 months I had a bleed exactly one month after coming off ( which in actual fact I had completely forgotten about- in fact, I thought I was 12 months till I worked it all out yesterday ) but couldn't work out of that was my body still reacting to tapering off the HRT. So I have been period free -no spotting at all for 8 months - and off HRT I have the whole gamut of sweats, flashes, moods etc.

So do I take the Utrogestan as if meno or peri? Meaning all the time or just 1-15 with a break.
My doctor is absolutely clueless ( she's only just swapped the original Progesterone she gave me 2 weeks ago after advice I got from here!)
My age and the 8 months point me to menopausal-I wonder had I  not gone back on HRT, would I have ever had another period, then would have known 100% I was meno.

Any advice would be really gratefully received. I started the Utrogestan yesterday.

Once again -thank you. I thought I was going to go under two months ago and thanks to this board, I feel I can live again.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:27:16 AM by kdee69 »

Dotty

Re: Peri or meno
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 05:59:28 AM »

You can take it continuously ( every day ) and see what happens. If you are not truly post meno you could get erratic bleeding and it may be an idea to go back to sequential. As you haven't had a period for 8/9 months you may be ok on continuous. X

kdee69

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 07:32:13 AM »

Thanks Dotty. I'll monitor it. Really helpful

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:06:32 PM »

Alternatively you might like to try it cyclically just at first - to see how you feel on the oestrogen only and then on the two products together - to gauge how you react to the progesterone? Just a thought. If you are then OK with it you could do as Dotty suggests and take it every day or with 3 day break. Depends really if you mind having a bleed or not (but you might do anyway as Dotty says....)!

Hurdity x

kdee69

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »

ok, still learning-  so why would i take continuously over say one tablet days 15-26?
I'd love to understand the pro's and cons (apart from the obvious no bleed) of each method