Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trouble with doctor  (Read 2708 times)

Karen P

• First Flush
Trouble with doctor
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:20:15 PM »

Hi
I am a new member but have followed lots of the advice given on this forum and am very grateful. I'm 57 and 4 years into menopause and after much indecision decided to try HRT as symptoms were becoming really horrible. Following advice here and from other doctors websites I asked my doctor for the evorel patch with utrogestan tablets as this seemed the most natural way to go with the least side effects. He was happy with this, and 2 months down the line symptoms have really improved, although I do feel incredibly sleepy now, as opposed to not sleeping much at all before. However, another doctor at the practice has poked his nose in and told me I should not be taking the utrogestan as it is not licensed  for continuous use and should only be used if a monthly bleed is needed. I am a little confused as even in the instruction leaflet it says that you can take it for 25 days and then have a 3 day break. I was completely railroaded by this doctor , who wants me to move to the evorel conti. Is what he is saying true? Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

JaneinPen

Re: Trouble with doctor
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »

Welcome Karen P. I can't help you with answers but just wanted to say hello. I am sure one or more of the lovely ladies will be along soon with advice  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 02:12:49 PM »

Why do GPs seem to butt in?   Maybe go along for a chat with a local pharmacist?  If necessary they can contact the manufacturer ;-)

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:58:40 PM »

Hi yes you can take it continuously . The new guidelines actually state that you take it every day. I will find a link for you that states this. X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »

Laziness?  Jealousy of the Partners in the Practice  :-\ - they seem to forget that they are General Practitioners  >:(

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 04:16:19 PM »

https://pcwhf.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/PCWHF-Easy-HRT-prescribing-guide-11.01.2019.pdf

Here's the document which states how to take utrogestan on page 5.  Hope that helps x

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »

I think everel is the 'go to' HRT, it is at my docs. Probably based on price. Yes, utro can be used if you don't have a bleed but you may find everel conti just as good, you won't know unless you try it. I was on everel sequi as in peri and found the conti patches absolutely fine, in fact better than utro which makes me very tired. I had to change because I got a rash.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 04:37:51 PM »

:thankyou:  we are a Mine of Info on here  ;)

Karen P

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 06:42:16 PM »

Thank you so much for all your prompt replies! Yes Sheila 99, I'm also so tired now, a different kind of tiredness than before, where I just couldn't sleep, now I feel almost drugged. So being on the conti sorted that out? I'm worried about, bloating, weight gain with the synthetic progesterone and the breakthrough bleeding, I haven't had any of that so far with the utrogestan. I'm really torn with going to the doc again and saying I'm not happy with him just not listening to my reasons for choosing a more natural version, ( I've only been on it for less than 2 months), or just trying the conti now and seeing how it goes. Would the tiredness settle down after a while 🥴

Karen P

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 06:46:38 PM »

.....also Dotty, thank you for the link, really helpful! X

Dotty

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 06:51:28 PM »

That's ok Karen 👍🏻. I'm on continuous Utrogestan x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »

..... that reminds me.  That draining, dragging tiredness - but can't remember which part of the cycle it happened in  :-\.  I remember Mum too: suddenly sitting down and dropping off to sleep.  Crashing fatigue.

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 07:17:00 PM »

It seems to be trial & error - what suits one person doesn't suit the next. If utro is making you tired it might be worth trying something else. You could try using a sequi regime to start with so you will have a bleed but you'll also know how the progesterone is making you feel.

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 06:36:09 PM »

Hi Karen P

:welcomemm:

Just to add also that you could take utrogestan vaginally as this limits the extent of the side effects - although maybe you would not want to have it like this all the time so instead you could go with sheila99's suggestion of taking it cyclically (as I have always done).

Hurdity x

Jeepers

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »

hi

Excuse my ignorance, I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but if you take Utrogestan continuously, and use vaginally, how does that work with, err, marital relations?

Do you wait until after the event, then just pop it in?  Then what happens if either of you get frisky the following morning?  :bed:

Jeepers x
Pages: [1] 2