Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Mesh  (Read 2337 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Vaginal Mesh
« on: April 02, 2019, 08:22:48 PM »

I haven't followed this closely but apparently NICE have said that Consultants can go ahead and continue using this method of treatment.  Why not wait until an independent study has been released  :-\.  Hopefully both Consltants and Patients will resist!

Cazikins

Re: Vaginal Mesh
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »

Here's a BBC link to it CLKD:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47735253

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 09:10:40 AM »

Tnx so much.  Head like mush ......... sometimes I do wonder whose side NICE are on  :-\

JaneinPen

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 12:13:04 PM »

NICE should be made to sit down and watch and listen to some of the ladies that have been on the tv and see how they are suffering and actually disabled because they have the mesh before they allow this to continue

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »

My feelings exactly!   What do the Consultants have to say [haven't read the Link yet].

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »

I hope that they will have read enough in the Press to avoid the mesh.

NICE said the "limited evidence" meant "the true prevalence of long-term complications following surgery with mesh is unknown".

So how can an organisation, supposedly there to ensure that there are no problems with it's recommendations, even allow this procedure even under the hands of 'skilled' surgeons which means what exactly  :-\  :'(

Of course some procedures will go wrong but knowing that this mesh has ruined lives should make even the most 'skilled' surgeon think twice.   

Shelly65

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »

I was offered the mesh a few years ago. The consultant did not offer any other treatment and seemed only interest in offering the mesh. I said I would read about it first and I am so glad I decided it would the wrong thing for me. I actually felt as if he was pushing me to have it done. Never went back to see him.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 04:02:14 PM »

Was he on commission?  :-\

What did you decide upon instead?

Maryjane

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »

Statement regards the news from NICE.

Baroness Cumberlege reply.

http://www.immdsreview.org.uk/news.html

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 07:14:23 PM »

:thankyou:  again, no one is putting foot down with firm hand and saying a firm 'no'.  Whose side is NICE on?

Sparkler

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 08:57:01 PM »

I had a cystocele and rectocele repair at age 27. The rectocele was about 10 cm diameter and so was significant. Was really lucky though, as my consultant felt that at such a young age I was fit enough to repair without mesh and he did a surgical repair. I am now 49 and will need further work in the next year or so, but it has lasted a really long time. Average is, I think, 10 to 15 years.

Feeling very lucky to have avoided mesh problems. The first consultant wanted to do a hysterectomy and use mesh- so glad I got a second opinion.
Sparkler

Shelly65

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »

CKLD it was quit a few years ago when I went and instead of going back to doctors to tell them it wasn't for me because I felt that if they sent me back to same person  it would be a waste of time. I only ever sort of wet myself when I was walking the dog never when I laughed or sneezed. I was at the time about 10 lb over weight at time and went on a diet and lost it and the problem just stopped. No idea why that would happen but it did. He probably was on commission lol. Anyways back to the here and now I've got got to make an appointment with doc coz I'm dribbling again but if never heard of a women's physo before till read about it on here so I will ask to see one.

Mrs Bean

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 01:52:34 PM »

I have started using sandrena gel ( 1.0mg) as I did not get on with the patches I was also prescribed Utrogestan (100mg) all was ok however on my next prescription they had a supply issue with Utrogestan & gave me Provera ( 5mg) for the fist time I was a little concerned over the dosage 5mg & 100mg but as I was going away was unable to speak to my GP so I took the Provera now for 9 days I have now collected my new prescription & I have been prescribed the Utrogestan again as I presume the supply issue has been resolved as I still have at least 2 months supply of the Provera I am stuck what to do should I just go back to the normal Utrogestan as I have been given 3 months supply the only side effect I had with the Provera was the sweats & sensitivity on my skin but I thought maybe I would have to give sometime to settle also I was a bit concerned about the dosage 5mg on the Provera vs Utrogestan 100mg any suggestions as I have to wait 2 weeks for a GP face to face appointment

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 04:10:04 PM »

Hi Mrs Bean - U may have typed in the wrong 'room', hopefully Emma will move you to an appropriate spot: or you can browse the various rooms to see where you will 'fit in'.   :welcomemm:  Hopefully some1 will be along with advice, however, the search box is very good.  Typing the product names: individually: into the box, then reading the threads may well be the way to go.

Make notes ;-)

Wrensong

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 05:07:54 PM »

Hello Mrs Bean  :welcomemm:  Please don't worry that one medication appears to be stronger than the other - they are not comparable - apples & oranges.  The Provera is a synthetic product & less is needed to do the same job as the body identical Utrogestan.

Both the strengths you have been given are those normally used in continuous regimens (where you take the same dose of oestradiol & progestogen every day) & if this is the type of regimen you are following, I don't think it much matters what you choose to do in the short term.  That said, it's possible that having had to change from one progestogen to another (& potentially back again if that's what you decide to do) you may get a little bleeding as a temporary response.

If you are in fact on a sequential regimen - taking the progestogen only for roughly half of each cycle & in this case probably at twice the dose of each (i.e 10mg Provera or 200mg Utrogestan), I would complete your current cycle on Provera, then change back to Utrogestan next cycle if you feel you would prefer to be on the more natural medication, especially if you felt better on it.

I hope that helps.
Wx
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 05:28:10 PM by Wrensong »