Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Constipation and Oestrogen  (Read 2726 times)

jasmine5

Constipation and Oestrogen
« on: March 31, 2019, 10:16:03 PM »

I've reduced my Evorel Conti down to one patch a week instead of two for the last few months (as discussed with the Menopause Clinic) and although I've been feeling okay, Ive also been suffering with constipation which makes me think it might be a side-effect of the reduction of oestrogen. Has anyone else had this problem please?

Hurdity

Re: Constipation and Oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 07:52:44 PM »

I can't really find a definite answer on this because a quick google just brings up IBS so either end of the bowel fucntion spectrum seem to be possible. Here is one site:

"Hormonal imbalance. Lots of women notice that their IBS symptoms are worst just before their periods. This may have to do with hormonal fluctuation in the second half of the cycle: estrogen is lower for several days and progesterone is relatively high at the end of the cycle, then drops off suddenly just before your period. Progesterone in general slows gut motility, and lower-than-normal estrogen has been identified in women with IBS".

https://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/digestivehealth/ibs.aspx

Has your diet changed or fluid intake? Any persistent change in bowel habit that you can't ascribe to anything should be checked out by your doctor.

Hurdity x

Hvenab

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 08:24:59 PM »

Hi can I ask what you were experiencing on evorel conti when on two patches? I had high anxiety. Sweating and jittery. and just stopped. Hope someone can help answer the constipation question x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 07:51:21 PM »

I think that bowels can be bothered by hormones.  10 mins. prior to a bleed: even if a period wasn't due: I would have to run to the loo, NOW.  Otherwise  :-X.  Loose motions for about 10 mins. so I couldn't plan any journeys when periods were due.  It was a sudden 'attack', no pain just the need to go.  NOW!

So it stands to reason that constipation could be a problem too.  What happens in pregnancy ........ which is mainly hormonally based?

becca

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 10:07:30 AM »

I definitely find that whenever my osteo levels are low then I have more of a tendency towards constipation.