Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie - Any other menopausal runners out there?!  (Read 2712 times)

jennymcc

Newbie - Any other menopausal runners out there?!
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »

Hi all

I'm brand new on here and to the menopause generally.  This forum looks amazing and it's great to find people who are going through the same and have a whole load more experience than me!

I've just turned 48 and have been feeling awful for around 6 months (crippling tiredness; headaches; low mood etc).  I've had blood test results back which show what I've started to suspect - that I'm menopausal.  I had no idea that it could be so debilitating   :-\ and the whole thing has taken me by surprise.

As with many of you - this phase in my life is affecting me in many ways.  I've been doing loads of research and reading about symptoms and treatment generally but one thing that I can't find much information about is the effect of menopause on running/sport endurance.  I've been running for about 20 years including doing the odd marathon over the past 5 or 6 years.  I've never been fast or run more than 3-4 times a week but I've always loved it. 

A couple of years ago I started to notice that longer runs were a real struggle and I was getting slower.  I'm now wondering whether it was the onset of peri menopause that caused this.  And bizarrely I started to notice about a year ago that I've started to sweat absolute buckets when I go out for a run - much more than I used to!!   

In the last 6 months when my symptoms have really taken a hold I've felt like I've had no energy to run far and I've slowed down massively.  It's been like dragging my legs through mud trying to put one foot in front of the other at times!  I've had to pull out of a few races as I've not been able to train because I've got so tired so quickly on runs.  Plus my low mood and apathy have made me feel very unmotivated to get out of the door in the first place.

I'm back to see my GP tonight and have decided on HRT which I hope will improve my general symptoms and, most importantly help with the tiredness and lack of energy (with life in general as well as my running).  I've also started eating more 'menopause friendly' food in the hope that will help.

I'm wondering if there are any other runners out there who can relate to my symptoms; and give me some reassurance that things will get better??!!  Is HRT likely to help me restore some of my energy? 

Thank you in advance!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie - Any other menopausal runners out there?!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »

Have bumped a few threads.

Do you belong to a running club?  Maybe drop into a Gym and see if there is a professional 'trainer' who should have a bit of knowledge. 

Have a look-see at pro-sports people, i.e. Paula Radcliffe and see if there is a contact address so that you could ask the question?  It's an interesting question.  We do have runners here and several sports threads. 

Park run will have a various range of ages too. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:14:15 PM by CLKD »

jennymcc

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:47:12 AM »

Thanks for your reply - some good suggestions there.  I started my HRT yesterday so fingers crossed I will start to feel more human again soon!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:25:44 AM »

Do you keep a mood/symptom/food diary to chart your feelings - some find it useful  ;)

AG

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 06:29:08 PM »

Hi,

Your post sounds very familiar to me. I am a keen long distance runner (usually running no more than 3 times a week and some weights training or cycling instead of running). Up to late 2017 (nearly 48 at the time) I had not noticed anything much of things taking a hit but with periods further apart a whole barrage of symptoms hit me, and in terms of running, I could sometimes barely shuffle around the block in 2018 in particular (usually I do the odd 50 mile or longer race). This has basically crippled my running over most of 2018. Extreme exhaustion and tiredness came as part of this (and still lingers but less pronounced) with lots of other symptoms like nausea and dizziness and sleep issues etc, and sweating buckets and having hot flushes during races in particular was not great. This has now slowly been improving but I keep the option open for me to go on HRT (not on HRT yet). Despite all of this not doing any exercise is not an option for me since exercise and brisk walking seemed the most effective way for me to limit symptoms and hormone fluctuations. All the best. AG

AG

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »

Hi,

I hope you will find a way to get through menopause as well as possible, and HRT may help with this. Another thing that I had to cut down on is caffeine, and refined sugar, and this does improve things somewhat. I presume the blood test did not flag anything like low iron, vitamin D or thyroid function, which can cause similar symptoms to menopause apparently. There may also be some interesting posts here:

https://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/category/my-fit-at-50

All the best and keep running. AG

jennymcc

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »

Thank you CLKD.

AG thank you for your reply.  Oh my goodness I can relate to absolutely everything you say!  I'd been on the mini pill for several years so haven't been getting periods anyway and just had no idea that I might be peri-menopausal.  I went to the doctor about 1 1/2 years ago specifically about my running.  As self indulgent as that sounds I was concerned about what seemed to a sudden lack of energy.  He found a heart murmur and send me off for loads of tests about that (turned out not to be serious thank goodness) but I never got the answer about my running which drastically got worse around 6 months ago.

One weird symptom that seemed to start about a year ago was that I too started sweating crazy amounts on runs.  I've now been on HRT for 2 weeks and have already noticed that is better.  I also feel that I have more energy and, whilst it's obviously early days, I'm cautiously hoping that I can get stuck into my beloved running again.

I'm trying to cut down on sugar too and don't have too much caffeine anyway.  Bloods are all absolutely fine (except menopause!)- my doctor checked for everything a couple of weeks ago. I hope you find a way through too

jennymcc

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 10:24:19 AM »

Oh and thanks for that link - it looks really helpful!

AG

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 05:37:27 PM »

Hi,

Yes, I found that link and documentation very useful. One thing I have noticed, having cut down on caffeine with weak coffee previously (1/2 caffeinated, 1/2 decaff) I have now cut coffee out completely for about a week, and that seems to be what has helped me quite a bit( or it may be a coincidence and hormone fluctuations have died down). I am ok with a few cups of (weak) tea but for now I will stay off coffee completely (whether coincidence of not). Keep going and try to run when possible but sometimes a rest or an easy cycle ride or walk may be more beneficial. AG

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 05:39:41 PM »

I love the smell of coffee but it makes me feel really sick really fast  :-\

....... this time of year is great for re-starting hobbies  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 04:32:19 PM »

:bounce: