Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT and ongoing symptoms  (Read 1585 times)

Sgtvhilts

HRT and ongoing symptoms
« on: March 12, 2019, 10:31:09 AM »

Hi all,
Just fishing around for any words of wisdom really.
Been on sequi hrt since April 18, so coming up a year. First up 1mg Femeston. Wow excellent response, my worst symptoms vanishes within a week
Namely
Horrendous night sweat, head fog, cold flushes, insomnia, 3 wee wakes per night. Among loads of other less bothersome stuff Great - sorted....
Alas- by July night sweats back, ( not weather related)wee wakes. Up to femeston 2, again symptoms stopped, then back to night sweats and weeing  at night in October.
GP has tested me for everything under the sun, thyroid, glucose etc etc- all normal/negative, but oestrogen levels were 1164!!!! A bit high says my Gp LOL
She has now put me on patches- a week in and no noticeable difference.
My question - finally- is what is going on and where do I go from here- it is driving me beserk.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:33:02 AM by Sgtvhilts »

Hurdity

Re: HRT and ongoing symptoms
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »

Hi Sgtvhilts

Sorry to hear about your return of symptoms.

The blood tests does't really mean anything though as it is a snapshot in time and depends where in your cycle the blood was taken. Thing is, HRT does not actually suppress your cycle so you will still ovulate in the background if you are going to and therefore around this time your oestrogen levels are very high. For blood tests to have any chance of accuracy they should be taken on Days 3-5 of your menstrual cyclde but once you start taking hRT this really goes out of the window as you don't know what your natural cycle is doing. Can you remember where in your HRT cycle the bloods were taken?

How old are you? If under 50 then you might be better off with one of the CCP types that suppress the cycle and give you an approx even dose of body-identical oestrogen (QLAIRA and ZOELY are the ones). Otherwise as your doc has prescribed you might be better off with a patch - but if it;s Evorel sequi this only comes in one strnegth so if this doesn;t help after a few weeks then ask for patches and separate progestogen ( Utrogestan or Provera, or Mirena coil) so that you can increase the patch dose if necessary.

Hurdity x

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 02:38:32 PM »

Thanks Hurd it you
Make sense. I am 49. The doc has put on separate patches and utrogestan. I am prescribed 50 mcg, but being naughty me, slapped 2 on on Monday to see what happens! - no difference yet.
My own cycle is definitely going on in the background and I think I am still ovulating- you know ‘cervical symptoms ‘. I wonder sometimes if my symptoms are meno at all !
Good idea with the cycle suppression route, I was thinking of mentioning ‘the pill' to my dr?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 02:53:40 PM »

Also do read our threads about vaginal atrophy  ;) and see if symptoms relate to your bladder issues.  It is a separate HRT to treat and really does help.

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »

Yep, Got the lot! LOL
But because my Oestrogen was 1164, meno clinic have told my GP it must be over active bladder.  I am going for a bladder scan etc next week, but after that, hopefully my 100mcg 2 patch experiment might have weilded results either way. On the whole though my GP's are pretty 'compliant'

But why does the HRT seem not to be working, or why does it work to start then stop, i know my own cycle will fluctuate, but there is a real pattern here. I up the dose, it works, then stops, dose goes up, works etc etc. i can't see how the decline woudl be that quick and more so that consistentl pattern.  Really though, how high does the dose need to be to be effective. I mean i am happy to take some risk, but at this rate, i'll be on the biggest dose of Oestrogen in history 50mgs! a day

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »

Ooooooo
Slept all night last —-yay- we'll see. Always starts out like this when dose goes up though.....