Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy  (Read 1749 times)

jaydee21

Vaginal atrophy
« on: March 11, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »

Hi,
I stopped HRT last December due to abnormal bleeding which resulted in an operation to have uterine polyps removed.
Before this, my Dr. changed me to Conti as I was having vaginal soreness and irritation after each period.  On examination she said i had vaginal atrophy as my vulva were white - said no blood flow going there.

I have not gone back on the HRT and although I'm not getting the soreness and irritation like before - mainly I think to putting linseed into my diet - the white on my vulva is still there on occasions.  I have just made a friendship with a man and he has invited me on a 'date' so to speak.  I'm embarrassed and nervous at the thought of intimacy.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »

Did your GP not prescribe treatment  >:(  :bang:

I wouldn't be thinking about intimacy immediately anyway.  Even if I had known a man for years .......

Hot foot it to your GP and ask for appropriate treatment! 

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 02:48:38 PM »

:welcomemm: jaydee21.

As CLKD says, local oesrogen treatment for vaginal atrophy from your GP is needed, probably either Vagifem pessaries or Ovestin cream. The condition will only get worse without, and intimacy probably painful. There are many threads on VA on the forum.

Best wishes,

JP x

jaydee21

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 02:56:59 PM »

Hi,
Thanks very much for replying - sounds like I need to return to Dr's although I didn't need to be made to feel guilty for actually wanting to be intimate with someone I've grown to know and like.
I will search and read the site...as others no doubt do, i find it very depressing :(
Is the white linked to atrophy or is this something else?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:37:11 PM by jaydee21 »

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »

jaydee21, if it is paleness of the vulva generally that would indicate oestrogen deficiency (as your doc said). If it is white patches that might be a skin condition such as lichen sclerosis.

It sounds as though your GP is more clued up than many!

JP x

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 04:43:51 PM »

I strongly suggest you go to your local GUM clinic to have lichen sclerosus ruled out, I know too many ladies who have had it missed.

You can have VA & LS.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »

You don't need to feel guilty ......... but beware and do ask him to use protection.  Apparently more over 55s are going to Clinics having caught something unexpected  ;).

Do speak to your GP about appropriate atrophy treatment.  It will certainly ease symptoms so that you can be more relaxed.

Tc

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 03:57:08 PM »

Jaydee. . If it is LS as well as atrophy.l Ibelieve there is,a different treatment to the VA treatment. If it is VA alone  then why not ask your doc to prescribe treatment for it.  Did the doc not offer any treatment.?

If it's just the outside then I find  estriol cream is good for that. (Rubbing in)

Everyone looks different so im sure it wont be even noticed by him but if you are worried about pain and comfort issues  then definitely see the doc again about treatment.so you can get on with enjoying your love life
Good to hear you found  someone you realy like  and and remember sex increases blood flow so it's a win win!!!