Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Grinding grating neck :(  (Read 1767 times)

Maxwin

Grinding grating neck :(
« on: March 09, 2019, 03:51:26 PM »

My neck has been grinding/grating with every movement now for years :( doc sent me for x rays just showed age related wear.  Trying to have regular massages and was told glucosamine chondroitin might help.  There is such a wide choice of tablets/strengths/prices etc most seem to be 3 per day!  Anyone got any tips which to try?  Vitibiotics always seem to have buy 2 get 1 free but still pricey.  I am nearly 60 :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Grinding grating neck :(
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 03:52:30 PM »

Gentle exercise?  Note to Self  ::) mine has been spasmodic for a couple of weeks.  So must try to remember to do some gentle movements  ::) ::)

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:59:55 PM »

Mine can sound quite crunchy  ???

Vitamin D seems to help. I got unbearable pain when I was low in vitamin d and had to go to bed early because sitting up hurt.
Also, Pilates class.   I have discovered that posture of the whole body contributes - if I get that right I lose tension in my shoulders, neck and jaw.

I have a wheat bag that you warm in the microwave when it is bad.

I have some vitabiotics osteocare* 3x per day tablets with all the works in,  but I could not tolerate them.  I am taking one a day to use them up (they were 3 for 2  ::) ) and they have some magnesium in which complements the vitamin D

*edited
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 05:35:56 PM by dahliagirl »

JaneinPen

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 09:14:49 AM »

Maxwin.  I have advanced osteoarthritis arthritis in the first three vertebrae in my neck and have pain there every day. The crunching noise is not normally something to worry about. The one thing everyone does and shouldn't is rotate there head round and round to try and ease it. My consultant said to definitely not to do this but to turn head one way back to centre and then other way and repeat. Then to put head back looking at the ceiling back to looking straight ahead and then to look down and repeat. The last one is to put your head on one side towards your shoulder but not lifting your shoulder back to straight and then the other side and repeat (you might need a mirror for this one as it is hard not to lift your shoulder).  I do these ten times each twice a day. Hope they might help you too

Maxwin

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 07:33:19 PM »

Thanks ladies, have got a pilates workshop booked in few weeks and try do few basic neck exercises daily , still to buy some vitamins maybe one of my daughters will get me some for Mothers Day do me more good than Milk Tray!