Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi! New to forum and new to HRT!  (Read 2666 times)

denbuck90

• First Flush
Hi! New to forum and new to HRT!
« on: March 01, 2019, 10:42:15 AM »

Hi, I have been reading through this forum for the past couple of weeks and yesterday saw the doctor about possible HRT.  I am 48 (49 in a month) and have had peri-menopause systems for around a year - erratic periods, and then very heavy periods, feeling down, snappy, foggy brain, weight gain, thinning hair, night sweats that come and go.  The thing is I was put on 50mg of Levothyroxine back in May last year, so I'm not sure if these are symptoms of menopause or an underactive thyroid!  The doctor yesterday said that my bloods came back "normal" but I had a slight dip in my oestrogen which means I am probably peri-meno and suggested trying HRT.  He has prescribed Elleste Duet 2mg.  They are still sitting untouched in my bag.  I guess I'm worried about the side effects.  I have a few breast lumps that were checked out but proved to be cysts and non threatening.  I also don't want to put on any more weight.  My other half said that I should just try them but I'm worried having read the forums relating to Elleste and the dreaded progresterone tablets!  (I remember I wasn't very good years ago when I went on the mini pill).

I'm now thinking of going the more natural route by getting some Black Cohosh and trying those magnet things!

Perhaps I'm just writing this post to get reassurance or to be told to try alternatives.  I don't feel that I'm at the stage that some women get to, like they can't function normally, hence why the tablets are still sitting in my bag!  Thanks all!

Dx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi! New to forum and new to HRT!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 11:41:23 AM »

Menopause is natural.  However, symptoms can be distressing and medication may be required to ease them.

Have a browse through the threads in the 'alternative' room.  Some ladies get benefit until their periods become erratic then any help is lost.  Also, 'natural' products aren't necessarily for long-term use.  Add to that, belladonna is 'natural'  ::).  Make notes.

The way to find out if you react to the medication is to use it.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use. 

:welcomemm:

denbuck90

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »

Thanks! Am having a look through the Alternative section now!  It's all a bit of a minefield!

Dx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »

Yep.  So make a list and ask.  ;)

denbuck90

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 04:17:54 PM »

Thanks - I'm giving myself another couple of months - will see how/when my next period comes along and in the meantime have got some Menopace supplements, will eat healthily, get more exercise etc.  If no improvement then I'm hitting the HRT.

Thanks all. dx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 04:24:51 PM »

We have threads on exercise, diets, dogs ........ as well as menopause  ;)

denbuck90

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 04:31:49 PM »

Oooh sign me up for diets and dogs! xx I'm craving cheese on toast right now!!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 09:06:27 PM »

Hi Denbck90

Welcome aboard our forum.

Ask away, someone's always on to try and answer your questions....

Jd xx.   :welcomemm: