Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: VA Treatment Queries  (Read 1409 times)

Bobidy

VA Treatment Queries
« on: February 26, 2019, 04:31:49 PM »

Hi

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, and you are all repeating yourselves, can I double check details for the VA options just to make sure I have it clear in my head:

Estring oestrogen ring which sits at the top of the vagina, lasts 90 days (ish) and can be left in for intercourse, no condom necessary.

- Is this fitted by a doctor or by yourself? I have visions of being a contortionist!
- Can you have this after a hysterectomy where the cervix has been removed?
- How long would I have to wait after a hysterectomy before using this?

Vagifem oestrogen pessary which is inserted through an applicator (same as Canisten) each morning for 2 weeks loading and twice per week thereafter. No condom necessary.

- do you need to wear panty liners (is there tablet residue that comes out)?
- is there just one applicator, if so do you just wash it in soap and water?
- should this go as high up as possible?

Ovestin oestrogen cream for rubbing on outside 'lady bits'. If stingy mix a small amount of Olive and Bee or Yes oil based moisturiser.

- would you do this in the morning or at night before bed when you wont be frequently wiping after the loo?
- how much O&B or Yes would you add in relation to the Ovestin?

Yes moisturiser once or twice a day if there is any 'lady bits' dryness

- Are those all the options?
- Can they be used continuously forever?
- How long does it take to kick in? (I'm assuming 3 months)

Sorry I know there are other threads but I get a bit lost in all the detail within them.

Also, my mum who is in her late 70s has lots of VA symptoms but has never been offered any treatment. Could she start now do you think? Would there be any risks (she still has here womb, ovaries etc).

Thank you as always for all your advice x

Tinkerbell

Re: VA Treatment Queries
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 04:42:49 PM »

I use Vagifem every day, you can use it at anytime of the day, I put it about half way up, no need for panty liners or condoms. It is in a blue disposable applicator, the Ovestin is a reusable one, so you need to wash it out. I also use Ovestin on the outer bits a few times a week, I put that on at night.
I don't need any moisturisers, the Ovestin only stung a little bit when I was still getting the VA under control, have no issue with it now.
I started getting improvement after a few days, but it was several weeks to get the real benefits from it.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 04:44:32 PM »

You can certainly use it long term, just avoid any uneducated GPs!
My mum was prescribed Ovestin when she was mid seventies.

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 05:22:42 PM »

Regarding the Estring:
You can insert it yourself, I do, but unfortunately cannot remove it myself and normally get a GP to do it, one who has some experience of women's health. However, many users can remove their own, I think most can and I am just unlucky. I have no cervix. I don't know how long you would have to wait after surgery. I expect it's best to start off with Vagifem.

All the options can, and indeed should, be used forever, as it is a lifelong condition and will return if treatment is stopped

As to your mother, I don't know of any reason why one could not start treatment for VA in the 80th decade, but you can bet your bottom dollar the average GP would find one, as most are untrained in these matters. Perhaps she could see Dr Newson, it would be worthwhile

JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 05:33:34 PM »

Nowt is taboo on here and asking is how we learn. Pity GPs etc. don't read regularly!! they might learn a bit ......

If your Mum doesn't ask she won't get.  Maybe see the Practice Nurse for a well woman talk and treat her to a copy of 'Me and My Menopause Vagina'  ;) ..........   

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 05:53:56 PM »

Hi Bobidy

You will find a lot of answers to your questions by going to Google, putting in the name of the product followed by "PIL" - short fo Patient Information Leaflet. If you want more detailed info then type the name of the product followed by SPC (Summary of Product Characteristics).

I always wear a daily panti-liner anyway....

If after reading these you have  any more questions then do please ask and we will try to help!!

By the way I wouldn;t use Ovestin for rubbing in outer bits although women with very severe VA would probably need to do so - it is 10 x stronger than generic estriol so this weaker one (0.01% estriol) is better for most women to rub in as an oestrogen treatement as well as a bit of a moisturiser too.

There is also a lot of info on VA on the main website:

Articles:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pdf/article-gsm-issue44.pdf
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php - + other tabs on this menu
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Hope this helps and good luck with your research....

Hurdity x