Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel and Muscle/Joint Aches  (Read 2197 times)

Bobidy

Oestrogel and Muscle/Joint Aches
« on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:55 AM »

Hi all

Thank you all for taking the time to read my posts.

My question today is:

I am at that awkward phase and have several symptoms of peri menopause (see below), despite having regular heavy periods.

Dr Newson has prescribed Oestrogel which I start after my hysterectomy. I'm wondering if this has helped to combat muscle and joint aches in any of you ladies as this is the worst of my symptoms at the moment?

Thanks in advance.
X

Overview of me:

Age 44. Started periods age 12. Took CCP continuously from age 18 to 30. Melasma patches developed. Cervical dysplasia (CIN2) from age 30 to 35 which then disappeared. Cystic breasts. Heavy clotty painful periods from 37 to present due to egg sized fibroid in uterus muscle wall and polyps, resulting in horrible anaemia on and off. Due to have a total laparoscopic and vaginal hysterectomy leaving the ovaries in April 2019.

Symptoms:

In addition to heavy periods (with varying 23-28 day cycle)... reflux and swallowing problems for 4 years; 18 months ago started with areas of numbness including face, muscle and joint aches, eye pain and dryness, increased cystic breast pain, dizziness, brain fog and forgetfulness, chest flutters, shortness of breath, adrenaline rushes, weird 'sausage fingers' feeling in hands with stingy raised veins, pins and needles / 'buzzing' and heat in hands and feet, tinnitus, difficulty with cooling down with sweats or getting warm with shivers. (I've included my coping tips for these in a previous post). Dr Newson diagnosed peri symptoms and prescribed Oestrogel after the hysterectomy.

Had blood tests, barium swallow, nerve conduction tests, brain, spine and neck MRIs (paid privately), eye tests etc which all came back negative. Dr Newson's blood tests showed low oestrogen and testosterone (although I know this will fluctuate).

I'm active, don't drink alcohol or caffeine, don't smoke and I supplement a healthy diet with a multivit, Vit D3, B complex, Omega 3, Ester C and the dreaded iron tablets!!

Turkish delight

Re: Oestrogel and Muscle/Joint Aches
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »

Hia!

I can only give you my experience, and I'm pretty new to the whole hrt game.

I started 3 weeks ago on Oestrogel and have noticed my joints and muscle pains have got markedly worse. I actually have a joint and muscle disease(Ankylosing spondylitis)which was well under control for some time but since starting bhrt it's somehow aggravated it.
That's not to say it will for you though. The main thing I have taken away from being on this forum is just how different we all are. Hopefully you will be ok and even have some relief, as it's my understanding and probably yours that hrt it is supposed to help in that department.

TD

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »

Hi Bobidy I had a total hysterectomy with BSO back in Dec 2016, and I've been on Everol patches. Funnily enough I only started getting achy/painful muscles & joints in last 6-8 months. When I was on Tibolone for 3 months it did help but now back on 100mg patches it's got worse again but only been on these patches for 3 weeks. Hopefully it will ease for you.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »

Hi Bobidy

I am puzzled as to why you are getting bad joint and muscle aches at this point when your periods are very regular so your oestrogen levels must still be pretty good and testosterone maybe? You said you had them measured - what point of your cycle was it and what were the readings? As you were told - if you are having periods - then oestrogen tests are unreliable. Also most docs on NHS will not measure testosterone before treatment as these tests too are unreliable - and both are only a snapshot of what is happening on that particular day. I  know most private doctors will do them though as part of the consultation and handy to have a record too! You would have more of an indication of tesosterone deficiency from your libido - I think this is the first thing to go - way before signs of muscle fatigue and pain after exercise and general lethargy.

Sounds like you are having a pretty rough time of it so hopefully you will soon be on the road to better health and wellbeing :)

Hurdity x

Pinkjan4288

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:03:09 AM »

My joint pain has got worse. I am using BHRT and have found my hip pain is worse and my ankles hurt.
The Oestrogen gel and Utrogestan have helped me immensely but the low energy after walking and point pain isn't great.