Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel and Osteoporosis Advice Please  (Read 1184 times)

Bobidy

Oestrogel and Osteoporosis Advice Please
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:54:29 AM »

Hi all

Thank you all for taking the time to read my posts.

My question today is:

I have several family members with osteoporosis (in older age) and know how devastating this can be. I find myself constantly seeing women hobbling around with sticks now! This is one of the main reasons I am really open to starting HRT.

When I start Oestrogel (to try to control peri symptoms) is there a certain daily amount of pumps required for osteoporosis protection during this phase up to the menopause?

Does this amount increase or decrease post menopause?

Thanks in advance.
X

Overview of me:

Age 44. Started periods age 12. Took CCP continuously from age 18 to 30. Melasma patches developed. Cervical dysplasia (CIN2) from age 30 to 35 which then disappeared. Cystic breasts. Heavy clotty painful periods from 37 to present due to egg sized fibroid in uterus muscle wall and polyps, resulting in horrible anaemia on and off. Due to have a total laparoscopic and vaginal hysterectomy leaving the ovaries in April 2019.

Symptoms:

In addition to heavy periods (with varying 23-28 day cycle)... reflux and swallowing problems for 4 years; 18 months ago started with areas of numbness including face, muscle and joint aches, eye pain and dryness, increased cystic breast pain, dizziness, brain fog and forgetfulness, chest flutters, shortness of breath, adrenaline rushes, weird 'sausage fingers' feeling in hands with stingy raised veins, pins and needles / 'buzzing' and heat in hands and feet, tinnitus, difficulty with cooling down with sweats or getting warm with shivers. (I've included my coping tips for these in a previous post). Dr Newson diagnosed peri symptoms and prescribed Oestrogel after the hysterectomy.

Had blood tests, barium swallow, nerve conduction tests, brain, spine and neck MRIs (paid privately), eye tests etc which all came back negative. Dr Newson's blood tests showed low oestrogen and testosterone (although I know this will fluctuate).

I'm active, don't drink alcohol or caffeine, don't smoke and I supplement a healthy diet with a multivit, Vit D3, B complex, Omega 3, Ester C and the dreaded iron tablets!!

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogel and Osteoporosis Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:43:16 AM »

Hi Bobodiy - yes as Stellajane says there are licensed doses for oesteoporosis protection for all the estradiol products and you can see them here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Most women will go by symptoms so unless the obvious symptoms of flushes and sweats were not controlled by the dose you were taking, or your mood worsened for example - then you would carry on taking the same amount once post-menopausal. Many women try to reduce once they reach 60 although I did the opposite ( slight increase once I started testosterone). it's not so much an issue with a hysterectomy because if you don't have to take a progestogen you can take whatever dose you like and if no medical reason not to!

Hurdity x