Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: VA question  (Read 1677 times)

donnacrichton

VA question
« on: February 08, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »

Hi looking for a bit of guidance. I have stopped a chemical induced menopause in November and was using 2 1/2 pumps of estrogel. Was feeling some symptoms of high estrogen so had dropped estrogel to 2 pumps 6 weeks ago. I have had really bad headaches painful breasts and for the first time VA. I have never had VA before. My question is can VA happen with fluctuations or only if the estrogen has dropped too low?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 12:30:15 PM »

Usually due to oestrogen levels dropping.  The whole body may become dry: inside and out  >:(  ::) ; skin, vagina, anus, in between the toes, scalp, deep in the ears, nostrils.  We have several threads about vaginal atrophy so do read; make notes  ;)

Some ladies find appropriate HRT treatment helps, others need 'sylc' or 'yes' products too.  I use KY Jelly when the area feels dry and begins to itch.

My symptoms fluctuate.  I am not on any other HRT.

donnacrichton

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »

My thoughts are I've possibly gone too low with the estrogen but obviously don't want to create a more difficult situation.  I've only been on this dose since beginning of January but VA flushes and headaches have all showed face again. Next treatment is to remove my ovaries as it appears it is fluctuations are my problem x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:49:06 PM »

You really need to get any HRT sorted first.  As oestrogen levels drop the ovaries shrivel and don't put out much hormone.  I worry that if you have the ovaries removed you will be plunged into more problems than you already have.  How much knowledge about HRT after surgery does your Consultant profess to have?

VA requires different treatment, I don't us anything other than Ovestin into the vagina on a regular basis and occasionally KY. 

donnacrichton

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 01:05:22 PM »

He has been reluctant but after 7 years he is also at a loss. He hoped taking me out the chemical induced menopause would help as I was having a lot of side effects from the drugs. We were hoping my body would have stopped producing estrogen so I would now be on a stable dose. When I was on the 2 1/2 pumps I was getting really dizzy and severe burning skin and got instant relief on reducing the dose. The headaches are every day that need painkillers. I have noticed this week the VA and questioned if it was too low x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 01:23:47 PM »

Why does he think that removing the ovaries will ease current symptoms if chemical approach hasn't? 

Ask for VA treatment which will sort out those symptoms which will continue, treatment helps re-plump the vaginal walls ;-). 

donnacrichton

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 04:09:59 PM »

I have an appointment on the 23rd he wanted me to go straight back to chemical menopause when my own kicked in but I didn't want to take any more of the drug as the side effects were awful. I chose to reduce the estrogen so I could try and cope with my own popping in and out. I've been and got something for the VA hopefully get that under control x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 05:17:13 PM »

Well done.  If it's from the GP then instructions suggest a 2 week use every night to plump up the vagina.  4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o and some ladies need surgical intervention to separate the vaginal lips if they are too shy to visit a GP  :'(.  After the 2 weeks one uses it every 3 or 4th and 5 or 6th nights to keep the area moist and supple.

At least if you are more comfy down there you are going in the right direction  ;)

EnglishRose

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »

Hi looking for a bit of guidance. I have stopped a chemical induced menopause in November and was using 2 1/2 pumps of estrogel. Was feeling some symptoms of high estrogen so had dropped estrogel to 2 pumps 6 weeks ago. I have had really bad headaches painful breasts and for the first time VA. I have never had VA before. My question is can VA happen with fluctuations or only if the estrogen has dropped too low?

Donna
You have been very sweet to me and I'd like to help.
I have VA too.
I'm a member of a private VA group on Facebook which has over 1000 users and is full of first hand experiences and advice. No one else on Facebook will see you're a member or see your posts there.
They have been a fantasic and reassuring source of information and support for me and I believe for you too.
Please PM me if you would like to join or simply search for
“vaginal atrophy “ on Facebook and it's the first group that turns up.
You can resolve this by using local topical Estrogen.
HRT doesn't always reach the parts involved with VA but by using both local and systemic you have a much better chance of resolving your symptoms.

Wish you luvk in what ever you decide xxx
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:02:50 AM by EnglishRose »

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 09:30:43 PM »

Donna
You have been very sweet to me and I'd like to help.
I have VA too.
I'm a member of a private VA group on Facebook which has over 1000 users and is full of first hand experiences and advice. No one else on Facebook will see you're a member or see your posts there.
They have been a fantasic and reassuring source of information and support for me and I believe for you too.
Please PM me if you would like to join or simply search for
“vaginal atrophy “ on Facebook and it's the first group that turns up.
You can resolve this by using local topical Estrogen.
HRT doesn't always reach the parts involved with VA but by using both local and systemic you have a much better chance of resolving your symptoms.

Wish you look in what ever you decide xxx
Probably the same one which I belong to. If so then I can confirm that it is worth trying. Very helpful feedback

donnacrichton

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 11:58:12 PM »

Thank you ladies I will look it up. This is a new symptom for me x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 08:00:14 AM »

It was a new one for us all  >:(  ::) - my GP diagnosed it  :-* by reading my records and seeing that there was a pattern to my symptoms.

EnglishRose

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »

It was a new one for us all  >:(  ::) - my GP diagnosed it  :-* by reading my records and seeing that there was a pattern to my symptoms.

Yes, mine are always at their worst during and just before a period... unfortunately I'm averaging a period every 10 days at the moment so fun and games 😂