Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 1925 times)

LW44

Utrogestan
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:39:18 PM »

Hi, 

Ive just been prescribed 200mg utrogestan pessaries.. bit of background  been on 1mg oestrogen only for last three years and been monitored for my womb lining.. i couldnt take progestrone orally as severely intolerant..anxiety etc.. which i have suffered for years but managed to control until taking the progestrone.  Ive n9t had a period for 6 months and i am 48 yrs old.. been to see consultant today  and he has said i must take the utrogestron immediately to bring on a bleed and he can then increase my oestrogen as my hot flushes are back and all the other meno symptoms.  The thing is im terrified of taking it... even though o know i have to.. ive got to insert twice a day.. has anybody got an experience un taking this and maybe some reassurance? Thank you so much

LW44

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:25:58 PM »

Thank you stellajane :-)  i presume he has percribed it twice a day to clear my womb lining.  Taking it tonight.. if i struggle may use once a day for the 14 days he has perscribed for

becca

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:26:50 PM »

LW44 - I have also struggled with Utrogestan orally, but found it completely different when on a slightly lower dose (100mg for 12 days) and vaginally - far fewer side effects. NB 100mg is not a standard dose but I think (with monitoring) some doctors will prescribe this if you can't tolerate the 200mg long term - need to check with your doctor on that though.  Good luck with it! xxxxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 05:37:48 PM »

Hi LW44 - if you've been on oestrogen only for 3 years and not had a bleed for 6 months and not taken progesterone of any sort then I can understand the high dose. If your lining has been monitored - when did you last have a scan and what was the thickness?  Even if you use it once a day for the 14 days you should still get a bleed but would maybe need to use it again the following month until your lining has reduced sufficiently. Has your consultant suggested another scan at some point?

I normally only take the 200 mg dose (vaginally) and have never taken a higher dose but there must be thousands of women who take higher doses than this for fertility. It does have a sedative effect but hang in there - you sort of get used to the tiredness although it's a relief when you come off it and once it has left your system!

Hurdity x

LW44

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »

Thank you both :-)
Hurdity... im tired ALL the time now.. so i hope i can cope with it.. but i think so tired at the moment because my eostrogen not a high enough dose.  Consultant said he will increase once had a bleed

LW44

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 08:41:02 PM »

Took my first pessary last night. 200mg.. feel a bit jittery tonight.. presume its all in my head and not in system yet..??

Ladybt28

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 12:18:04 AM »

Sorry did you take it orally LW44?  It is probably because you are thinking about it that you are jittery?  If you took it vaginally I'm pretty sure it wont have reached your head yet ;) :) :).

Try not to get too uptight about it, its so easy to worry so much about meds and meno that we can make ourselves feel worse with the tension.  Things may feel different and maybe you do feel weird some of us do but remember you can't really do anything wrong and to be honest you cant do yourself any damage.

As Hurdity says not having a bleed after 6 months and it staying that way is much worse than doing something about making your lining thinner like it should be.  I'm pretty sure you will be fine! but keep us posted!

LW44

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »

Hi Ladybt28,

No a pessary.. it probs is in my head.. so blinkin uptight because of previous experience.. im going to keep myself busy to take my mind off, only another 12 days to go then hopefully a bleed and i can increase my oestrogen to help with the constant flushes.  Thank you :-)