Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: For those suffering with anxiety  (Read 866 times)

Rosepetal73

For those suffering with anxiety
« on: January 27, 2019, 06:26:28 PM »

Anxiety seems to be quite a common theme on the forum so as a sufferer of over 30 years I thought I would post some of the things that have helped me.  These are just my musings, I am not qualified in any way but I do understand the feelings that range from a slight unease, all is not well to the stomach churning, diarrhoea inducing 24/7 fear that robs us of sleep and hits like a sledgehammer on waking.  So here goes, in no particular order of importance

To view the anxiety as a separate entity - a cloud in a blue sky or a leaf moving down a stream.  It saves getting caught up in the whole cycle and I find some relief

To make a list of things one is grateful for.  People, places, experiences etc. It provides a break in a very negative feeling and allows a little bit of light to shine through

Crafts!  If one can knit, crochet etc. Something that requires concentration, it provides an opportunity for mindfulness and that gives the mind a break.  It maybe really difficult to pick something up but try it

To practice mindfulness, to truly observe or listen

Take a break from the internet. The internet is great, a great source of information and support but if I am particularly anxious taking a break and allowing the source of anxiety to recede a bit can be really helpful.  After a couple of days I find my anxiety has lessened a bit.  Writing, talking about the issue keeps it in the forefront and I find this can be unhelpful when one is really struggling

Sometimes I just wear my necklace that has a cross. I am not particularly religious but I do find comfort in it.  In a higher being as it were

Remember that thoughts are just that.  They cannot harm you.  And you have a choice about whether to think about your thoughts or push them aside.  This takes some practice and apparently happy people are very good at it!

I did have quite a bit more but my memory is playing tricks  ::)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:58:45 PM by Rosepetal73 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: For those suffering with anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 09:12:13 PM »

:thankyou:

My problem is that anxiety is physical and nothing can stop that.  Anxiety will over-take anything that I am doing ............  :-\

Jeepers

Re: For those suffering with anxiety
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 09:34:36 AM »

Hi Rosepetal

Thank you for this,its such an inspiring post.  I have to remind myself so much to let thoughts go, what will be will be, and I like the idea of a leaf moving down a stream.

I try to get some sunshine on my face (difficult in January, I know), after years of wearing factor 50, I now realise the importance of vitamin D and the feel good chemicals that are released.

I don't crochet or knit, but playing my classical guitar has the same effect, I am lost in what I am doing, and it certainly helps to make me grab a little inner peace, for a little while

Jeepers x