Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Dry eyes, va, dry nails hair and skin  (Read 1574 times)

Ljp

Dry eyes, va, dry nails hair and skin
« on: January 24, 2019, 09:46:01 PM »

Hi I'm 54 and now almost 5 years post menopause, been on hrt for 3 years

I use two pumps oestrogel daily and have a mirena coil, it has helped in so many ways with how I feel, no longer suffer the crippling anxiety and hot flushes and brain fog.

I also have an estring for VA symptoms and have had Mona Lisa laser treatment too.

Despite all that, and taking omega 7 (sea buckthorn) I still have problems with my eyes streaming when I go out, worse in winter, which also sets my nose running, I've tried anti histamine and dry eye drops and geos, plus I have dry brittle nails, and hair, I manage by using hair oils and moisturisers and I now take collagen.

My thyroid function is fine and I have energy, I teach 13 hours of dance classes a week.

Just wondering if any of you have experience of the same symptoms, and if you have had any improvement from using hrt? I've read it can help these symptoms but it hasn't really done much for my overall dryness issues and wondered if I should consider upping how many pumps or oestrogel I use, although I'm wary about doing so.

In an ideal world I'd go and see a private gynae for some blood tests to see if I need more oestrogen or even if I'd benefit from testosterone, but I can't afford to do that and couldn't afford private prescriptions added on top and follow up appointments etc.

I'm generally doing ok on my hrt regime, but just the dryness issues and keeping the VA symptoms at bay is the hardest, and knowing what to do and how to find out, as gp knows very little 🙄
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:48:49 PM by Ljp »

SueLW

Re: Dry eyes, va, dry nails hair and skin
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:35:28 PM »

Although 2 pumps of gel a day is the "standard" dose, the private menopause doctors regularly advise higher use.  It depends on how well you absorb the gel for a start.  Could you ask your GP to give you an oestrogen blood test?  If so, apply your gel in the morning and get the blood tested in the afternoon. 

Or, if you don't want to do that, increase what you are using.  Start increasing slowing.  1/2 a pump a day for a week and then up to 3 pumps a day and watch and wait to see how you feel.  Many women use 4 pumps.  I've been told I can go up to 6 pumps because I don't absorb well.  But I can't do that until I get the Mirena coil fitted in a few weeks time.  The Utrogestan will just allow me to bleed too much if I increase from my current 4 pumps a day.

Ljp

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:18:36 PM »

Thank you Sue, have you seen a private gynae? Dud you have blood tests to indicate how much gel you need to use?

Can I ask how old you are and how long in HRT and are you post meno?

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 07:11:43 AM »

I'm on 3 pumps daily (and try my best to keep up with omega and see buckthorn but my dry eye isn't improving.  My hair is also dry and brittle,  nails without acrylic still very thin and weak.

My optician has referred to the eye clinic to see if blocking my tear ducts will help as my cornea is getting scarred x

pepperminty

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 07:36:57 AM »

Hi LJP,

my nails were very dry and brittle, I started taking well woman tablets for over 50 years ( boots own brand) and within 3 months the condition of my nails improved. Although my skin especially on my legs is still very dry. I suspect that although my tests for vitamin/ deficiencies  were within normal range for the NHS as we get older some may need a boost and normal can still be on the low side. I also have eye issues which is again normal as we get older. You could ask your GP to refer you to an eye clinic, of self refer and they may diagnose what the issue is. - I self refered and got diagnosed with dry eyes.
You could try increasing you estrogen gradually and see if it helps.
You can get testosterone via the NHS, if you put testosterone in the search box here I believe there is a thread on here, so if you go well informed to your GP, he may prescribe.
Sometimes one appointment privately is enough and the consultant can write to your GP to advice if tests should be done.

Peppermintyx