Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: I am considering AD's - I have felt so low for so long  (Read 1235 times)

Rosepetal73

I am considering AD's - I have felt so low for so long
« on: January 21, 2019, 09:34:08 PM »

I know HRT is recommended but I also know finding the right balance can take some time.  I have been so low for so long I need something that works.  Perhaps I can revisit the HRT when I am feeling better?  I also have health anxiety about breast cancer (I found a lump when suffering PND and the fear has never gone away) and while I'm in this state it's very hard to maintain a balanced view about the risks.

Thoughts anyone please?

Roseneath

Re: I am considering AD's - I have felt so low for so long
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:34:10 AM »

Hi Rosepetal 73. I am in a very similar situation to you. I am fed up and exhausted with my default state of mind which is Anxiety.
I end up with horrible symptoms which the GPs say are all down to anxiety. I saw another GP yesterday who was very understanding and I think I am going to give Sertraline a try for a few months. I have a natural tendency to think ' not for me' or ' side effects' for ADs but living like this has no quality and is not fair on my family too. If I do start them I'll post my experience.

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 12:28:45 PM »

Everyone is different and what works for some wont work for others.  Either of you, please don't take this the wrong way, I am not knocking AD's but I can only write from my own experience.  I suffered with depression and anxiety since I was 13 and I took AD's and did all the mental health stuff throughout my life.  In fact I was on a range of AD's for the best part of 40 years. To be honest I said to the doctors throughout that time that they didn't help make me feel any better.  yes they took the edge off the anxiety but they substituted the depressive thoughts with numbness.  I just didn't feel anything I existed.

Once I had to get into the menopause thing properly, I realised from the forum and loads of other reading that I had hormonal depression my whole life.  I am now on the right hrt for me and it has taken just over 6 months to level out my problems and if you check out the list of symptoms on the forum for meno I had most of them except VA.   So I wake up now and go "actually this was an ok day".  I am trying not to get too excited about it but to be honest it feels nothing short of miraculous to me.
There is another lady on the forum who has a different view, she credits her AD's with being her lifeline.  It varies so much person to person.  My view you can only try these things and keep trying until you find what makes you feel better.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »

I began anti-depressant medication in the 1980s. Without which I would not be here.  I am certain that it eased any hormonal depression as I was more stable when I went into peri about 9 years later.

What's to lose if you try them?  8-9 months and review? 

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 04:32:24 PM »

Hi rosepetal,welcome to the forum,so sorry you're feeling so low,think a lot of us have been there,a few months back I couldn't see an end in sight but it did pass,like ladybt said,we are all so different,ad's are great for some,for me?not the case but I'm not knocking them or hrt,which I also don't take,it really is trial and error to find what is best for you,have you tried the Bach remedy drops,they did help me a bit and a lady on here recommended Benadryl,the acrivastin one a day,so there are lots of things to try.
Make sure you check your breasts every month and get to know every lump and bump,cysts are so very common but usually not dangerous.
You're not alone here,we are all way to anxious and there are many threads you can read.
Good luck

NaturalMystic

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 07:04:58 PM »

25mg of amitriptine at night helps me sleep but I still wake.  The waking rarely sends me into full anxiety, and I think that's because I'm still drousy.

Dr and I are going to try something different.  Another try AD ( cant do SSRIs ), clomipramine.  This is supposed to stop the intrusive thoughts that come with anxiety.  They use it for OCD.