Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New member advice please. Can we talk about sex .... or lack of???!!  (Read 1410 times)

katieb020

Hello,
It is wonderful to find this website where there are so many wonderful and supportive women all going through similar things.

I went on HRT when I was 53 and stayed on for the 'allotted' 5 years.  Whilst on HRT (Kliovance), I felt wonderful, but since coming off it (3 years ago) I've been experiencing the night sweats, hot flushing, aching joint, etc., but the main problem is that I haven't been able to have penetrative sex as it hurts inside and out! I'm wondering if anyone has tried the vaginal estrogen? I'm tempted to ask if I can go back on HRT but just find it a minefield, especially going to the GP when you only have a short time to discuss these things.
Thank you for any advice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member advice please. Can we talk about sex .... or lack of???!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:45:18 PM »

Hi!  we talk about practically anything and everything  ::)

Get thyself some appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment.  The idea is to use the product for 2 weeks every night then every few nights in order to keep the area supple.  I find Ovestin, delivered by applicator, does the job, along with Nurofen should symptoms niggle.  Other ladies use Vagifem successfully.  Do read our threads on the topic and make notes.

Why did you stop HRT if it suited you?  Is it something you would like to try again?

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »

When you use the words "allotted time" Katieb020 sounds like it was a GP's mantra that you can only take it for that long or that you should stop at 60.  Well times have changed since you came off it 3 years ago! Emma the admin for the site has just posted a Dr Currie statement that the guidelines have changed and you can take it till your 80 if you want!  Look in the list of postings for today!  If you want to go back onto it because of your symptoms there is no reason why you shouldn't.

CKLD is right some treatment for vaginal atrophy is the way to go....even taking the sex aspect out of the equation, VA makes you pretty uncomfortable generally.  There are a few treatments for it so why not get those to start with.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 05:46:49 PM »

Make a double appt. with a GP or visit with your Nurse Practitioner. 

Tc

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »

Katieb. You have some great advice here from 2 ladies who realy know what they are talking about.
I can only add that everything I have researched has said VA is treatable with low dose topical treatment.
It has worked for me in the short time I have been on it in terms of dryness and urinary issues. My gynae diagnosed it with physical exam but other ladies docs have diagnosed it by symptoms.

It  isnt always just dryness that can make sex painful tho as  the vagina can narrow and become less flexible which makes it hard to insert anything even with lube. I noticed that immediately with the VA although for  some people that seems to develop more over time.

as LADY and CLKD have said  i would sort out the local eastrogen issue first as it night help make inserting anything easier. And you might then be able to explore what is available in terms of gently stretching the vagina over time.

I don't know your personal history but i know some ladies who have had eastrogen receptive  cancer are concerned about using it but as  iunderstand it if someone has  had female cancer they might still be able to use the local topical E as its low dose and works directly where you put it without any significant amount getting into the bloodstream as far as tests have shown to this date.

Wish you well. Maybe you could look at the threads on here about VA there is lots of information. And ladies sharing their stories.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:40:45 PM by Tc »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 08:08:55 PM »

My GP never hesitated.  Also, I believe in Quality of Life instead of 'what ifs'. 

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 08:28:12 PM »

Hi katieb020

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others. Get back on HRT if you are medically able to do so as well as some vaginal oestrogen. No time to waste now you are over 60 - a transdermal type is best at your age so the one most similar to the one you were on is Evorel conti. If you are able to restart - take it slowly at first eg with half a patch for a few weeks then gradually building up to a full patch if you need to.

Information on vaginal oestrogen can be found here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

No need to suffer with flushes and sweats.... I'm 65 and have been taking HRT for nearly 12 years. I am prepared to take the small increased risks at the moment.

Hurdity x

katieb020

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 10:18:07 AM »

Thank you so much for all your replies. Have an appointment with my GP next week so will go with lots of knowledge.