Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: bowels affected by menopause?  (Read 1263 times)

Bananacarnival

bowels affected by menopause?
« on: January 07, 2019, 03:53:50 PM »

Hi everyone I'm new...
Fairly sure I'm peri menopausal - horrendous Urinary issues in the past two years, heavy back to back periods then regular, now nothing at all for the past few months.
My bowels are really upsetting me though.. Had sharp fissure type pain causing some bleeding, in the past year on and off but very bad in the last two months - always hard initially causing a tear then softer stool..
I've been so scared about the pain, I started to eat more apples, take probiotics, inulin fibre drink, and its going the other way... Very soft stool and never feeling emptied, pain permanently in rectum... Really miserable..
Any advice?
Thank you

Sgtvhilts

Re: bowels affected by menopause?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 04:32:00 PM »

Yep,
Sounds familiar. Happened to me, but not sure it was down to meno alone. I have some gallbladder issues going on, reduction in bile and all that.  I know this sounds gross , but a spot of vaseline on the old butt helps protect it. There are also the senna, movicol and fybogel. I only found the senna any good. I did try all sorts of ‘suppliments, but nah, no joy.
Keep a diary see what makes you go, how often etc

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 04:41:12 PM »

Hello Bananacarnival and welcome to the forum.

I see you have had some good responses but I thought I'd mention Flaxseed. It's also known as Linseed and when my friend had severe constipation a gastroenterologist told her to take ground flaxseed every day. It's full of fibre as well as other good stuff plus  it's very cheap which is a bonus!

Hope this helps.

Take care.

K.

Bananacarnival

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 04:46:58 PM »

Thanks everyone for the swift responses and suggestions. I've been worrying about bowel cancer - I have a tenancy to extreme thinking.
Will take on board suggestions but see gp too

Conolly

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 04:54:04 PM »

Hello Bananacarnival,

Apples and inulin fibre drinks will worsen the problem. The fissures are normal with loose stools, more loo visits and probably more time spent in there.

Try to eat more carbs such as white bread, potatoes. They are seen as evils but they are great to give stools consistency. I advise you to be away from food high in fibre and seeds, at least until your bowels are in better shape. Remember to drink lots of water.

Conolly X

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »

Hi Bananacarnival

:welcomemm:

I would definitely go and see your GP to get checked out - which is the recommended advice for any persistent change in bowel pattern.

Youi haven't said how old you are but change in cycle length and skipping periods is indicative of peri-menopause. Welcome to the club (peri-menopause and beyond)!

Hurdity x

Bananacarnival

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:32:17 PM »

Thank you again for the warm responses. I'm 47 now but 48 this year.
Thanks for the advice about the apples and fibre. I feel good about potatoes but worried about eating white bread incase I become constipated again and pass those razor sharp stools that tear.. 😐

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 08:49:27 PM »

Look up diverticulitis,I & a few others on here have it.Its quite common as you age but only a colonoscopy or scan will determine