Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Red line on boob = panic  (Read 7674 times)

Lynda07

Red line on boob = panic
« on: December 14, 2018, 06:53:34 PM »

Last night when I got out of the shower I noticed a red, flat line running from my nipple - a couple of inches, a wiggly line. I thought I may have caught myself but then my nipple started to feel tender.

I managed to get in at the Dr's today and he examined me and said he wasn't particularly concerned (and as luck would have it I have a routine mammogram on Monday) but he admitted he had not seen anything like it before.

I have antibiotics in case it is an infection and he is seeing me again on Monday after the mammogram. I'm trying so hard not to self diagnose but it's not working, me and health anxiety go hand in hand.

Given the Dr has never seen it before I don't suppose anyone here has had similar?

jaypo

Re: Red line on boob = panic
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:18:28 PM »

Hi Lynda,he didn't mention mastitis did he'sometimes if you get a blocked duct,it can manifest itself as mastitis even though you're not breastfeeding and a thin red line can be a symptom of that.im sure it's nothing to worry about

Lynda07

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 07:35:28 PM »

Oh Jaypo, thanks for that. He didn't mention that, no. It crossed my mind but I thought that was something only breastfeeding ladies got. Fingers crossed it's something like that so the antibiotics can work. Thanks so much for replying xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »

In case of infection ?!?   ......... is the area red?  Hard?  Have you laid on a nightie crease front down? 

It's a worry - let us know if it's gone by morning.

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:44:13 PM »

You're most welcome,it can be a very long weekend if you're worrying,let us know how you get on

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 07:52:23 PM »

I had a red line and it was the start of mastitis, BF my children and never got it!
Mine was found to be due to ductal ectasia which can happen as you get older.

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »

I had a red line and it was the start of mastitis, BF my children and never got it!
Mine was found to be due to ductal ectasia which can happen as you get older.
See?you'll be ok Lynda 😊

Lynda07

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 08:01:11 PM »

CLKD, it is a worry! It's just a red curvy line from my nipple. No hardness or other redness, not hot, no temperature.

I don't recall laying on anything etc.although I am desperately hoping it is something like that.

CLKD and Jaypo, I will update tomorrow. I am swinging like a pendulum between calm and utter panic.

Tinkerbell, did you have any other symptoms- I only have the red line and sore nipple. Thank you.

xx

Tinkerbell

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 08:09:42 PM »

It started with red line and sore nipple, I thought at first it was something to do with washing powder! Over a couple of days the areola became hard and then the whole breast became red and painful and I began to feel very ill.

AgathaC

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 08:21:14 PM »

Lynda - I'm super sensitive about breasts due to 1. Family history and 2. Cyclical soreness due to perimenopause/hormonal fluctuations.
I think you should take comfort from the fact that the GP wasn't particularly concerned and gave you antiobiotics and the extremely fortuitous timing of your mammogram.
I can empathise with your anxiety. The tiniest issue and I have self diagnosed a serious illness.
Try not to torture yourself over the weekend.
Sorry I can't be of more help or comfort. I really do know how you feel xxx

Lynda07

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 08:27:18 PM »

Oh dear Tinkerbell, that sounds horrible. Mine is at red line and sore nipple stage, I really appreciate your reply.

AgathaC, thanks. I am such an anxious person and it takes over my life. Last night I self diagnosed, big mistake, cried myself to sleep.

Just hearing what you have said has been of comfort, I can assure you.

Thank you ladies! xxx

Lynda07

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »

PS Tinkerbell, how were you treated? Antibiotics? X

Tinkerbell

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 08:34:21 PM »

Yes, antibiotics and they did a core biopsy.

Lynda07

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 08:55:57 PM »

And you are ok now? (I am asking out of concern for you now, not because of my worries)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 12:57:04 AM »

The core biopsy confirmed infection and I had to be on antibiotics for six weeks in total. The following year I had the same issue and it turned to an abscess,  more antibiotics for 9 weeks and I had a needle aspiration that removed a pocket of fluid. That was six years ago and fingers crossed I haven't had a problem since, although the area does twinge sometimes which always worries me incase it flares up again.
Pages: [1] 2 3