Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Bleed or no bleed  (Read 1328 times)

Louise01

• First Flush
Bleed or no bleed
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »

Can anyone advise re best method of HRt. It's about 12 months since my last period so on paper I could go for continuous Hrt which I think means so monthly bleed? I'm in no rush to go back two periods - the one benefit of menopause is leaving that behind. However I read that the progesterone bit of combined HRT makes most women feel worse? If I don't have a bleed does that mean I take more progesterone? I.e not just for the last part of the month. Any help /guidance would be appreciated. I would like to make an informed choice when I finally get an appointment with my GP.

Dancinggirl

Re: Bleed or no bleed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:23:30 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

How old are you?  If you are over 54 then conti HRT would be an option but I always think starting on a sequential HRT first is a good idea so you can gage whether you get on with progesterone well or not - there are different progeresterone types to try.  Once you find a progesterone you find OK, then you can switch to a conti version.

If you really don't want to have a monthly then consider having a Mirena fitted and have oestrogen as gel or patch alongside - this can be a really good no hassle HRT regime and usually gives fewer progesterone side effects -  around 60% of women have no bleeding at all after the first few weeks of the Mirena being fitted.

If you do try a sequential combined HRT in pill form then ask for Femoston 1/10 as it has one of the kinder progesterones.  DG x

Louise01

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 12:11:44 PM »

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the tardy response I'm still getting used to the site. I am now on the Femoston 1/10 and struggling with low mood and weight gain; only 2 weeks in but feeling like giving up and letting nature take its course. Dr said the conti progesterone wouldn't be a problem every day as it keeps moods level without spikes of sequential. However the level mood is low which isn't good! All seems like so much hard work and no easy answers. I'm 51 and have a demanding job- it's hard to cope without hrt but seemingly not any easier with? I guess some people just aren't suited?!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »

It's early days yet - you can't expect hrt to sort things in 2 weeks. Your body needs time to adjust and settle. Progesterone can bring Low mood and this is why the sequential hrt can often be better. If you find you feel good on the progesterone phase of Femoston and you are at least 12 months without a natural period, then you could then move to the conti HRT.
If flushes reduce and you start to sleep better then hrt is definitely beneficial. If you want hrt to improve mood generally then it can be trial and error till you find a hrt that helps.
It is worth sticking with this hrt for 2-3 months to see if things improve.
HRT won't fix everything - small changes in your diet (cut out sugary stuff and eat smaller portions) and increasing your exercise a bit, can really help.
Do learn some relaxation techniques as this can really help with low mood and stress. DG x

SueLW

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 05:09:16 PM »

The weight gain is likely water retention at this stage.  Your low mood will most likely improve when your body gets used to the hormones and balances itself out.  You certainly can't tell yet if this will suit you or not.  And even if it doesn't, that doesn't mean all HRT won't suit you.  It takes time to try them out, let them settle and see how you get on.

pepperminty

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »

Hi,

it took me at least 3 months to feel better, as it takes time for the body to adjust. I was glad that I did give it time as it really made a difference to my life. Write a diary so you can see if it is the progesterone, and also that will enable you to chart any improvements. Make sure you drink plenty of water to help with any bloating. 

Peppermintyx