Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tell me if this is normal...  (Read 5616 times)

Tell me if this is normal...
« on: November 25, 2018, 08:36:48 PM »

The last few years (I am 49) my periods have gotten lighter, and I have had other peri symptoms too. This year I have skipped periods, have had periods only 3 weeks apart, etc. I have had really poor sleep and night sweats.
Lately though I am sleeping significantly better, and have not have any annoying sweats. But my current period is just plain weird. It has - so far - lasted for 2 weeks. Only bleeding a very small amount, and with just very slight cramping. This period started on Nov 11, and the one prior started on Aug 29.
Is this.....normal....and when will this annoying period end....???

Dotty

Re: Tell me if this is normal...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 08:38:11 PM »

Yes it all sounds perfectly normal for peri menopause x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »

Mine waxed and waned.  Disappeared for months then reverted to the usual pattern.

If you experience heavy bleeding for any length of time, there is medication that can be prescribed.  Don't wait, get to the GP and ask.  I was lucky in that having suffered painful, clotty, heaving periods from age of 12 until mid-20s, mine gradually went at peri.  Took about 2/3 years.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 08:44:47 AM »

Mine waxed and waned.  Disappeared for months then reverted to the usual pattern.

If you experience heavy bleeding for any length of time, there is medication that can be prescribed.  Don't wait, get to the GP and ask.  I was lucky in that having suffered painful, clotty, heaving periods from age of 12 until mid-20s, mine gradually went at peri.  Took about 2/3 years.
No, rather the opposite. Very light bleeding, but for an extended amount of time....

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »

Yes it's perfectly normal in peri. It's due to hormone levels fluctuating so the bleeding starts and stops. Sometimes there is not enough build up of womb lining to produce a proper period. You may find that any sweats stop when a period is on it's way too. This has led a few of us in the past to believe that we were "over it" only to have the sweats start up again once the period is finished.

My longest period lasted over eight weeks and half way through I had all of the symptoms of another period starting! I also went almost a year without only to have them become fairly regular again. I was 53 by then and started HRT so I have no idea when they would have eventually stopped.

Bleeding after intercourse though should always be reported to the GP as this is not normal.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »

I had a vaginal polyp which bled on contact.  My Gyaen wanted to remove it but I wasn't emotionally well enough to cope with surgical intervention.  Saved myself some money as it went at peri  ::)

Dryness can cause bleeding.  Get your Practice Nurse to have a look see ;-)

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »

Yes it's perfectly normal in peri. It's due to hormone levels fluctuating so the bleeding starts and stops. Sometimes there is not enough build up of womb lining to produce a proper period. You may find that any sweats stop when a period is on it's way too. This has led a few of us in the past to believe that we were "over it" only to have the sweats start up again once the period is finished.

My longest period lasted over eight weeks and half way through I had all of the symptoms of another period starting! I also went almost a year without only to have them become fairly regular again. I was 53 by then and started HRT so I have no idea when they would have eventually stopped.

Bleeding after intercourse though should always be reported to the GP as this is not normal.

Taz x

That is EXACTLY what it feels like - as if the bleeding is starting and stopping, over and over again..... Thursday I actually believed my period finally "got going" - just to have it "trickle" again. Same thing today. More cramping in the afternoon, and I had to switch the pantyliner for a pad, as the bleeding increasead a little again. But it will probably just "fizzle out" once again......  :-\

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 04:23:38 PM »

The cramps from yesterday afternoon continued, and I now have what I would call a normal period. It "only" took 16 days to get there.....  :-\ Lets see if it stays normal and actually ends in a few days (fingers crossed!)....

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 05:33:06 PM »

It's The Change.  I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years after my last bleed [2002], in case.  I dreaded being caught without at his mother's ....  :-\ would have too embarrassing. 

Sometimes the bleed was light but needed a pad.  Other times it was usual but fortunately never that awful heavy clotting.  Sometimes it was a brown smear on the pad ........... I was busy nursing 4 sick pets so it went by me so I wasnt' particularly worried.  It was 'normal' for me at that time of Life.

Even now, I get odd 'oh no, not period pains after all this time!' ......... but no bleed.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 05:13:39 PM »

Hello, I am back.......  :-\

So, I dug up my old thread to see when I last wrote this, because I remember having this problem before... It's been almost a year! A year of fairly normal periods, I would say, but now it's back to problems again. Funnily enough almost the same pattern as last time....

I am not exactly sure when this last period started, but it must have been about 2,5-3 weeks ago. Before this, my last period was July 6. I had one episode a few weeks ago of eggwhite mucus and I thought - AHA - this could be ovulation. And now I guess I am on one of those periods that never begins or ends..... So annoying. If I google I find out that I could be deathly sick, but I am hoping it is just weird bleeding patterns of peri....???? Still....

Plb

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 01:12:04 PM »

Hi there I am so pleased I found your post I have been experiencing exactly the same thing.

I'm 49 and my cycles have been getting shorter over the last year or so, about 6 weeks ago it seemed like my period was starting but it just never got going...after about 4 weeks I had more of a proper period. Now after 2 weeks it's starting again really not helpful to look on Dr Google which of course I always do and and then panic my anxiety is so bad at the moment... 

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 02:28:28 PM »

Mine waxed and waned  :-\

Poshpaws

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 11:55:11 AM »

I've had heavy periods for the last few years and am now 52 - I've managed them and they started to get more manageable - three months ago I missed one completely and thought great it's finally going to stop - then I came on but only for a couple of days and it never really got going - then I had a another one the following month which again was lighter than normal

Then on 20th Oct I came on and then it stopped and a week later it came back and it's never stopped completely at all - eventually I went to doctors and they gave me 10mgs of Provera to take three times a day - bleeding continued so they prescribed transamic acid six a day which I've been taking for over a week now - bleeding is just spotting now but still there at every wipe after the loo

Lady doctor I spoke too on the phone has ordered a scan which I am having tomorrow now - Spoke to her yesterday and she says she pretty sure it's my age and once I've had the scan if everything is ok then she says wean myself off the tablets which I will then have a proper bleed and maybe have a Moreno coil fitted

I'm still scared about the scan - I feel so anxious and just want to cry constantly

Hubby is brilliant but absolutely wont discuss it and is just carrying on as normal -

I have a daughter who is 14 who I haven't told because four years we lost my son at 21 and she was 10 and I don't want to worry her anymore than I have too

So any advice would be great ...

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 05:14:57 PM »

Hi there I am so pleased I found your post I have been experiencing exactly the same thing.

I'm 49 and my cycles have been getting shorter over the last year or so, about 6 weeks ago it seemed like my period was starting but it just never got going...after about 4 weeks I had more of a proper period. Now after 2 weeks it's starting again really not helpful to look on Dr Google which of course I always do and and then panic my anxiety is so bad at the moment...

Hi Plb

:welcomemm:

You will see that anything and everything is normal in peri-menopause when it comes to bleeding. However if there is anything about your bleeds which worries you especially if they are very heavy then do have a word with your doc? Cycles getting shorter is a classic sign that peri-menopause is on its way and you may well start to experience increasing irregularity and bleeding. There is an article here which explains what happens to your body at this time:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Hurdity  x

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 05:24:05 PM »

I've had heavy periods for the last few years and am now 52 - I've managed them and they started to get more manageable - three months ago I missed one completely and thought great it's finally going to stop - then I came on but only for a couple of days and it never really got going - then I had a another one the following month which again was lighter than normal

Then on 20th Oct I came on and then it stopped and a week later it came back and it's never stopped completely at all - eventually I went to doctors and they gave me 10mgs of Provera to take three times a day - bleeding continued so they prescribed transamic acid six a day which I've been taking for over a week now - bleeding is just spotting now but still there at every wipe after the loo

Lady doctor I spoke too on the phone has ordered a scan which I am having tomorrow now - Spoke to her yesterday and she says she pretty sure it's my age and once I've had the scan if everything is ok then she says wean myself off the tablets which I will then have a proper bleed and maybe have a Moreno coil fitted

I'm still scared about the scan - I feel so anxious and just want to cry constantly

Hubby is brilliant but absolutely wont discuss it and is just carrying on as normal -

I have a daughter who is 14 who I haven't told because four years we lost my son at 21 and she was 10 and I don't want to worry her anymore than I have too

So any advice would be great ...

Hi Poshpaws

First of all so sorry to hear about losing your son, such a tragic thing to happen at such a young age....

Really don't worry about having a scan - it's really good to have these to rule out anything potentially serious at a very early stage. So many women experience bleeding problems at the beginning of peri-menopause but always worth consutling the doc over persistent and heavy bleeding. Have a look at the link in the previous post I wrote for Plb - it;s an article about the peri-menopause. Also there is another one about bleeding prpoblems:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pdf/article-ext-issue28.pdf

I presume you are having an ultra-sound scan but maybe a transvaginal one too? I've had plenty of these and they are no problem at all and not painful.

Try not to worry - the need to cry also is so normal during peri because your hormones are going up and down. I cried buckets at the slightest thing. You are bound to be more anxious in the circumstances and of course no need to tell your daughter any of your medical details. I always used to say ( and still do if it arises) "women's stuff" - and you could say if you want to it's a routine scan because you are starting peri-menopause - that's all you need to say or nothing (ie just a doc appointment for women's stuff). After all she probably doesn't know about the appointments you have been to to discuss contraception? She isn't likely to worry if you give her the impression it's just a routine check-up - hopefully!

All the best and let us know how you get on?

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2