Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Ideas to help reduce an increase muscular aches/pain  (Read 1995 times)

daisydolly

Ideas to help reduce an increase muscular aches/pain
« on: November 15, 2018, 11:30:43 AM »

Can anyone offer advice on any supplements, vitamins and/or minerals I can take for an increase in muscular aches and pains that have just started - particularly lower back ache.
Never had aches/pains before unless suffered an injury but most days now I seem to have low level aches and discomfort.
I am 53 and have had no periods since June this year, currently have mild irregular hot flushes and am not overweight -21.8 BMI so mid range.
I run for 30mins twice a week and go to an hours yoga every week too but I ache more following exercise.
I don't particularly want to start HRT and am hoping to get some advice off more knowledgable/experienced ladies.

Dancinggirl

Re: Ideas to help reduce an increase muscular aches/pain
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:32:59 PM »

Magnesium. Vitamin D and Omega 3.  Have a session with a physio or osteopath to get some advice about the right exercises as well. Running can actually jar the joints and cause more problems - it's better to walk briskly instead and walk every day. If you can get to a Pilates class this should help as well and do a few of the exercises at home every day as well - Yoga is great but Pilates is more geared to helping joint and muscle problems - particularly back pain.    Many of us get degeneration in our spine which can case a lot of pain, not just in the joints but in the surrounding muscles and tendons - doing the right kind of exercise daily can help enormously.  DG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »

I agree - tai chi would also be good.  DG x

daisydolly

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »

Thanks everyone for your replies - i really appreciate it. I will try magnesium and VitD and will look into Pilates too.
Don't think I can give up running though as I love it so much and it really helps my anxiety and mental health  - though I will take it steadier and make sure I warm up and cool down properly.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »

I agree re the exercise! Keep it up and especially Pilates.

However rather than supplements you should first look at your diet and make sure you are getting enough of all food groups as most of us should get most of what we need re nutrients, vitamins, minerals etc from the food we eat. Supplements cannot replace a good diet!

If you need any advice about diet then we can help but basically lots of fresh fruit and veg, fish (inc oily fish), pulses, beans, nuts, no processed foods, low fat, whole grain carbs, low alcohol etc.

If you haven't had enough sun or been outdoors much this year then you might run low on Vit D and even if you have perhaps take some eg cod liver oil after Chritsmas ( I take it about 3 times a fortnight after Xmas and a liquid iron tonic once a week when I remember!).

Residual aches and pains may well be due to your declining hormones so don't rule out HRT if you don't experience an improvement after making changes to your diet (if you need to) and exercise routine or Vit D/Iron supplements if you think you need them.

Also have you been to your doc re the aches and paimns - it is important to rule out other causes and now is the time to have a good background blood tests to check everything. Aches and pains after exercise can indicate sub-optimal thyroid as well as low testosterone or oestrogen so please mention this to the doc and push for a full blood count as well as vits and thyroid function if you can! I got very bad aches and pains after exercise. I've been taking HRT for 11 + years but turned out I needed testosterone and I got this prescribed off licence. The doc wanted to refer me for fibromyalgia but I was having none of it. I am hugely improved now - but first thing with hormones repalcement is to get your oestrogen levels up. if you are having hot flushes then your doc should be able to prescribe if you want to go down this route.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 03:58:36 PM »

? Pain relief ?

As oestrogen levels drop off so muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Hiatus hernia and frozen shoulder are common at this time of Life.