Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Menopause at 60 - when does it stop?  (Read 1148 times)

Fletch6823

Menopause at 60 - when does it stop?
« on: November 14, 2018, 06:30:41 PM »

Hi
I am new to this group but have been struggling for many years with menopause symptoms. I had full hysterectomy aged 32 but with my ovaries left in due to cervical cancer. I also had spinal surgery the previous year, and then 2 more ops within the next 3 years.
HRT was prescribed due to osteoarthritis etc which I took for 10 years. Then was recommended to stop due to age.. I joined a gym and became much fitter and went back to work full time... 2 years ago all symptoms stared up again far worse than ever before. I have gained weight despite being at gym every day and slimming world, but more importantly the hot flushes are the worst, lack of sleep and general depression about the whole thing is driving me insane.....
any ideas for help as GP is useless... tried other pills but felt so low had to stop them as I work so just couldn't cope.

Has anyone had success with diet changes? Or  the Biohormonal drugs?

Kathleen

Re: Menopause at 60 - when does it stop?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:11:14 PM »

Hello 6823 and welcome to the forum.

I take it you were taken off HRT due to being 60 but symptoms have returned. Have I got that right?  There are ladies here who are over 60 and still using HRT ( at 62 I'm one of them).

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable ladies will be along soon to advise you but in the meantime I would say that many of us use an oestrogen gel called Oestrogel that you rub onto your skin daily and this seems to work well. As you no longer have a uterus you will not be needing any progesterone. I suppose your previous cervical cancer is the only other consideration but again I'm sure someone will be along to help you.

I came to the menopause fairly late as I had my last period at 54. I had many symptoms but managed fairly well for 3 years but then some of my problems became much worse and I approached my GP for help. They were fine with me beginning treatment at age 57 and I have been using various forms of HRT ever since.

I completely understand feeling depressed about it all, the whole thing seems never ending! I had a sense of humour about it all initially but now I feel weary from dealing with hormonal problems all the time and I worry that I'll never get my life back. 

I hope you find the help that you are looking for. This forum has, and continues to be s lifeline for me and I'm sure  you will benefit as well.

Take care.

K.

Hurdity

Re: Menopause at 60 - when does it stop?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »

Hi Fletch6823

:welcomemm: from me too.

Sorry to hear about your problems and how you are feeling.

re HRT - if you have taken it before and haven't been off it for that long then provided you do not have any risk factors ( for cardiovascular disease, stroke etc) if you are still experiencing flushes and sweats then your GP ( or failing that after referral to a menopause clinic) should be able to restart you on a low dose oestrogen. The beauty of it as I expect you know, is that you don't need progesterone which is the stumbling block for many women on HRT due to the side effects and bleeding.

If your GP is useless then can you see another one in the same practice? There is no longer any age limit for hRT provided any risks are discussed with your doctor. If you would like links to current guidelines then let us know - there is also the British Menopause Society which has up to date statements.

Please reconsider and you can hopefully restart and try an oestrogen patch - starting low dose ans building up to medium dose if necessary ( 50 mcg).

re your weight gain - have you had blood tests to check thyroid function - and if so ask for a reading of your results? Many women suffer from underactive or sub-optimal thyroid at this stage of life which can cuase fatigue, muscle aches and pains and weight gain ( as well as feeling cold) and lead them to get "dustbin diagnoses" ( I remember someone calling them that on here recently!) of CFS or fibromyalgia when in fact their syndromes are caused by hormonal imbalances.

I am mid 60's and still on HRT (for past 11 + years) as well as testosterone.

Good luck with finding a suitable doc and treatment and let us know how you get on.

Hurdity x