Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Burning pain external labia  (Read 1541 times)

Mrsmaggie

Burning pain external labia
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »

Hello , I'm a new member and hoping for some help .
I am post menopause and for the last 12 months have been using vagifem twice a week . A month ago I felt some slight burning pain so did the two week reloading of the vagifem but it didn't help and since that day I have been in agony with this burning pain  :'(
My gp has done swabs , urine checks and all ok . She also says that my vagina doesn't look too dry . I have had steroid creams and antibiotics but the burning continues , I've used lidocaine which helped a little bit but that isn't helping either now , I've taken pain killers and they don't help so you can imagine I don't know what to do next . It isn't painful to touch , just this continuous burning ! I would be so great full for any help . Thank you x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Burning pain external labia
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »

Afraid it's usual.  Get yourself into a cool bath with salt or Epsom salts in.  Sit for 10 mins. then tap your body dry, don't rub.

For my outer labia I use either KY Jelly or Vaseline.  Put 'sylc' or 'yes' into the search box here and see what pops up.  Some ladies find those useful to keep outer skin supple.  It's important to apply at least twice a day ;-).

Read our treads on Vaginal Atrophy, found via the search box.  Some find that they are sensitive to the filler or coating of the Vagiefm.  Your GP of course should know what is also required!

:welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 08:33:42 AM »

Do use vaginal moisturisers- SYLK or the YES products are best.
Let the air get to your lady bits.
Avoid caffiene, fruit juices and alcohol. Drink plenty of water.
Gently bathe your intimate area with only water that has a bit of bicarbonate of soda in it.
Don't sit for too long and don't let the area get too hot - so no tight trousers.  The antibiotics may have unbalanced your vaginally flora ( it kills the good bacteria as well as the bad) so it might be worth buying some Multi Gyn Actigel to use - it does sting a bit initially but is then soothing. 
I'm afraid this type if discomfort is common when meno hits.
BTW - don't wash your hair in the shower - if shampoo, shower gels or anything scented gets to the intimate area it is very harsh and will trigger this type of burning DG x
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:13:31 PM by Dancinggirl »

suzysunday

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 10:15:15 AM »

All the above great advice.  On my docs suggestion I sometimes use zinc and castor oil cream for babies, I buy boots brand. Admittedly a bit messy but it sometimes does the trick. It's finding what's right for you.

EnglishRose

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »

I started with this on my last period for a few hours and had a touch last night and this morning (my period is due any day)
Last night it happened during and after I peed which again is new to me.
It feels like my discharge is burning my skin but it's not. It affects the skin to my bottom and vulva.
This is new to me and started alongside the other vaginal symptoms that are there all month. Slight stabbing pains internally and externally and arousal sensations. And acute hunger all the time.

I'm curious what causes it, is it lack of Oestrogen?

I've been using Vagifem for 10 days but was told by a women's Physio Therapist and a gynaecologist that I didn't have VA.
I'm also using  canabalance  to tackle a slight imbalance of flora following a swab test that came back “intermediate” ( I have some bad bacteria but not 100%)

I do know for a fact my discharge is watery has been for years and I can feel little  air bubbles escaping all the time which when it first started I knew it meant the walls of my vag were thinning.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:20:34 PM by roseenglish »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »

Lack of oestrogen certainly contributes.  Get the whole area lubricated: Granny used zinc and castor oil - but do it regularly, not when symptoms return  ;)