Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Nervous newbie  (Read 1298 times)

Jeps

Nervous newbie
« on: October 30, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »

Hi all - what a wonderful forum!

I'm feeling very nervous and confused and hoped someone out there might be able to answer a few questions.

As of yesterday I started HRT patches. I'm on Evorel Sequi patches, so for two weeks I take everol 50 and two weeks I take everol conti.

My main reason for going to the GP was my emotional state, getting cross for no reason, crying over the slightest thing, getting forgetful etc. Here's my question, I've read lots of reviews of people taking evorel conti who describe feeling just like that due to the HRT! I was hoping the patches would stop those feelings. I'm so confused. I don't want to take something that is only going to make those feelings worse.

The other question is this. My GP said to start them when I get my period but as mine have been all over the place she said don't wait too long, just start them if your period doesn't come. So I did that yesterday and within two hours I started bleeding. Is this coincidental and my period was going to start then anyway, or could the HRT have caused the bleed after only two hours?

Oh and one more thing. I have been getting a few hot flushes in the past, never the hot sweats. But last night, the day I started the patches, I woke up absolutely drenched. Could the HRT have caused that do you think??

Thank you so much  in advance.
X
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 09:52:31 AM by Jeps »

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Nervous newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »

Hi Jeps.  :welcomemm:

I can't answer your questions, but I'm sure someone will be on soon to help you,
There's a lot of knowledgeable ladies on here to offer help.
Just wanted to welcome you, and let you know someone will probably answer you soon..

Jd xx

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 06:51:08 PM »

Hi Jeps & welcome!  It's only natural to be nervous when starting HRT, but you have come to the right place for advice & support, so you will not be alone with any worries. 

Your first question about emotional state & Evorel - there is unfortunately really no way of knowing which HRT preparation is going to suit us best until we try it and it's usually recommended to give any new regime a 3 month adjustment period.  Bear in mind that women who do well on a particular form of HRT are unlikely to come along just to say so, so reports of problems are much more likely to be found & I know that can be off putting & worrying when you really need to feel reassured.  Evorel suits many women very well and there's every chance you will be one of those who feels much better on it.  I tried several forms of HRT & Evorel Conti was the one that I felt best on & kept coming back to.

That your period started within a couple of hours of applying your first patch sounds like coincidence to me - it seems very unlikely to have been long enough for the patch hormones to make any significant difference to your cycle.

The night sweat last night, I'm not sure about.  It's likely that you will have some reaction to the patch hormones at first, but if you were understandably anxious about your first day on HRT, this could perhaps also have led to the night sweat.  Stress makes everything worse in menopause & is a known aggravator of vasomotor symptoms (sweats & flushes).  I also used to find that my night sweats were especially bad leading up to & during the first couple of days of my period & that was before HRT, so what I'm saying is that you may have been about to start having night sweats as you get further into peri, even without the patch.

It can be really unnerving starting HRT  :o, but it's perfectly normal to feel a bit worse for a while as your body will be adjusting to the additional hormones.  I did find my sweats & flushes increased during the first couple of weeks, but gradually levelled off.  Natural to want to know early on that this form is going to be right for you, but I'm afraid any new regime usually means being patient, relaxing as much as you can & trying to distract yourself with other activities, so that you won't be over-vigilant, worry over something that will pass of its own accord & feel unnecessarily discouraged.

I hope you soon start to feel much better, but in the meantime, please don't be afraid to ask any questions at any time - nothing is silly & there is so much cumulative wisdom & experience here, you can bet someone will have felt the same way, however that is!   Good luck with the Evorel! :)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:52:44 PM by Wrensong »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 07:07:21 PM »

:welcomemm:

Maybe put the product name into the search box here and see what pops up.  Read the treatment section above.  Make notes ;-)

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use.

Periods tend to wax and wane during The Change ........

Jeps

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 08:26:37 PM »

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I read these with tears in my eyes at how kind you all are. Pretty much everything is making me well up these days.

I've been really terchy today, and I wondered if that was also the patches. But I'll stick with them and hope to see a change soon, for my family's sake more than anything 😱

It's been so helpful reading these replies, and it's made me feel better. Thank you once again.

Jx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 08:57:28 PM »

There's a message for husbands on here, print it off and hand over ;-).

I'll bump it - if I remember ......

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 10:46:18 AM »

You're very welcome Jeps :bighug: