Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New words  (Read 2025 times)

Gangan

New words
« on: October 27, 2018, 08:16:59 AM »

I was told by my dentist yesterday that Calculus is the new name for Tartar on your teeth.  Why does something need a new name with a mathematical connotation.

Beam me up Scottie !

Gangan

Taz2

Re: New words
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 08:28:04 AM »

I had an Australian dentist for a while and he always called it Calculus so I guess it's been around for a while. It's very confusing as I couldn't see what the link was to a mathematical term but good old Wikipedia came up with the answer  ;D

"The word comes from Latin calculus "small stone", from calx "limestone, lime",[1] probably related to Greek χάλιξ chalix "small stone, pebble, rubble"[2] which many trace to a Proto-Indo-European root for "split, break up".[3] Calculus was a term used for various kinds of stones. This spun off many modern words, including "calculate" (use stones for mathematical purposes), and "calculus", which came to be used, in the 18th century, for accidental or incidental mineral buildups in human and animal bodies, like kidney stones and minerals on teeth.[3]

Tartar, on the other hand, originates in Greek as well (tartaron), but as the term for the white encrustation inside casks, aka potassium bitartrate commonly known as cream of tartar. This came to be a term used for calcium phosphate on teeth in the early 19th century"

It looks like we are returning to the early 19th century!

Taz x  :D

Gangan

Re: New words
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 03:27:38 PM »

Thanks Taz for finding that. Words are always interesting their derivation, use and how that changes.
Maybe my dentist has been out to Oz.

Gangan