Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tips for virtual colonoscopy prep.  (Read 3784 times)

shrosphirelass

Tips for virtual colonoscopy prep.
« on: October 21, 2018, 07:05:39 PM »

I have got to have a virtual colostomy on Thursday. On Tuesday I have to eat a low fat, low fibre diet. On Wednesday I can have breakfast and then can not eat again until after the procedure on Thursday at 2.20pm (28 hours). I get very dizzy and nauseous if I go for more that 3 /4 hours without food in the day, so has anyone any suggestions of what I can do to cope. I am allowed liquids.

I also have to take gastrografin on Tuesday evening and Wednesday evening, so I am expecting to be up most of both nights near a toilet. Anyone any advice about how best to get through this, as I'm feeling very anxious about it.

Many thanks for any advice.

Taz2

Re: Tips for virtual colonoscopy prep.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »

The preparation for colonoscopy is unpleasant but so necessary to get good images of the bowel.That does seem to be a long time without food though. I think that all you can do is keep your fluid intake at a good level and follow instructions to the letter.

Did you opt for the virtual one?

Taz x  :hug:

shrosphirelass

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 07:37:53 PM »

Thank you. I didn't have a choice. They said it was less invasive and would also show up my gallbladder.

Blot

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »

I've never heard of that before. It sounds a lot less traumatic that a normal colonoscopy and I don't think many places offer them as a matter of course. Can you not eat anything at all, not even clear soups?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 08:07:43 PM »

The prep is similar for virtual. It's essentially a CT scan and so they can see the bowel clearly they have to inflate the bowel with carbon dioxide and I have to take a iodine solution, which also acts as a laxative.

I can have clear liquids including soup, but I can't find any. It's not made any easier by the fact I don't eat meat. The best Ive found is some vegetable stock.

Blot

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 08:14:43 PM »

Can you not have vegetable soup with the vegetables taken out?  Jelly? Did they give you a diet sheet?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 09:01:15 PM »

I wouldn't be able to eat anyway.  My gut would shut down and nausea begin  :'(

Will you be able to watch the screen?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 06:53:18 PM »

Shropshirelass, I had one of these recently.  I'm the same with having to eat little and often to feel ok but I didn't find it too bad, the not eating bit I mean.  All the liquid filled me up I think!  It's not pleasant doing the prep so just make sure youre close to the bathroom and somewhere comfy in between visits.  I set myself up in my bedroom with the TV, books, magazines but I actually dozed when I could as I felt tired. 

Mine was done after a very painful sigmoidoscopy even with sedation.  The doctor that did it referred me for the virtual colonoscopy due to my intolerance.  I was very grateful having had a normal colonoscopy a few years ago that was equally painful. 

Think of it as a necessary evil that will soon be over.  I always think of the cup of tea I'll be having as soon as it's done 😊

Thanks Sparkle. I'm feeling increasingly anxious about it, but know I've just got to get through it.

Both toilets are the other end of the house from the living room and bedroom so I may have to stay put in there. It's going to be really hard taking the laxative on the second evening when I know what's to come!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 06:55:44 PM »

When I have to stay in the bathroom I take a thick duvet to lay on with a pillow, wrapped in a thick blanket with a good book ;-).

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 07:33:24 PM »

My bathrooms small CLKD. I couldn't lie down, unless it was in the bath! I'll just have to sit on the loo with my book.

Annika

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »

The prep is in my mind worse than the actual procedure (have one every five to 10 years) luckily my doctor gives me laxative pills rather than that awful jug of white stuff.  I remember they allowed for broth or bouillon, jello as long as it was not purple or red, apple juice etc., most of what you would find on a liquid diet. My biggest tip get some of those nice soft baby wipes for your poor bottom  :o

shrosphirelass

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »

Thanks all for the tips.

Am back. I must be a wimp because it was way worse than I thought. The prep was horrible as expected, but I didn't expect the pounding headache despite drinking at least 5 litres of fluids. I couldn't tolerate the actual procedure. Had to stop as I was going to be sick. I did manage to continue after a break so I'm hoping what they got was good enough. Never thought my pain / tolerance level was so low.

and yes Sparkle the first thing I wanted was a cup of tea, followed by toast. Lovely!

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 03:36:46 PM »

So glad it's done and you are back. It's not a nice thing to have done so I don't think you should feel your tolerance level is low. I didn't like having a sigmoidoscopy and the prep is nowhere near as bad. Was it painful as I thought the virtual one was pain free?

Taz X  :foryou:

shrosphirelass

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 07:24:12 PM »

Thanks both. It was the blow up bit that caused me grief. I had already thought of the Monty Python sketch, Mr Creosote where he explodes and that's how it felt for me, she said the buscopan had done such a good job the air had passed through to my stomach.

Fingers crossed they can see everything and I'm really glad I managed to do it, because as I understand it they will see a lot of internal organs so if there's any issues apart from my bowels they should be able to pick them up.

Can I check with you Sparkle about afterwards, I've got  really uncomfortable dull ache high central abdomen, do you know if that is normal. I panic about everything.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 07:53:14 PM »

Well when the consultant suggested it he said it would be good because it would also show up my gallbladder. From what I've read they can see most structures around the abdomen, so liver, pancreas, ovaries and kidneys. They wont be focusing on those but I'm sure if there was anything obvious they would pick it up

Thanks Sparkle for your quick reply, I was sitting here panicking, reading about bowel perforations!

Also, I thought that you were supposed to pass lots of wind. I've been burping a bit but nothing the other end!
Pages: [1] 2