Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: NHS Equipment - return or not?  (Read 1767 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
NHS Equipment - return or not?
« on: October 13, 2018, 12:13:29 PM »

When Dad was under NHS Care in the mid-1990s he had various frames/crutches to aid mobility.  Although after he died in 2006 Mum contacted various Depts at the Hospital, no one ever collected them.  We often see crutches in auctions  ::).  The frames etc. are now at the Care Home.

The frame that Mum was discharged home with was not collected, the Nurse told us that after 12 months they were no longer safe to use  :-\  ???  >:(.  Well the Care Home didn't turn them away. 

Now the NHS is asking patients via the BBC News to return such items.  One half doesn't know what the other half is doing! 

NorthArm

Re: NHS Equipment - return or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 08:04:15 PM »

Lol - I know! And how much gets destroyed/ thrown out by people who no longer need them? Such a waste of money, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm glad that the care home has been able to take them and use them xx

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »

They never paused B4 saying yes to our offer. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:13:46 PM »

Don't even start me on this one!  The money the NHS wastes on uncollected equipment is disgraceful.
You just cannot get them to collect stuff.  Our local dump/recycling centre had a collection of crutches, walkers and perching stools which they put in a portacabin for sale. the proceeds go to charity. the operatives thought this was better than crushing them.

A woman who said she worked for the NHS said they shouldnt be doing that and they should be returned to the NHS.  She was told that every person who brings such stuff in complains that they have made countless phonecalls and nobody shows up to collect them.  She was asked to take what she could in her car but she declined  and said she would make sure they were collected urgently.  The men on the dump waited six weeks and nobody showed up so they put everything in the crusher.

Gangan

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 08:15:34 AM »

Hospiscare Charity in out local town have a room with equipment on display and for sale. This may be nonreturned NHS items. I will ask next time i am in there.

They are a charity that will take and sell electricals too. Not many do.

Gangan

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »

Hospiscare Charity in out local town have a room with equipment on display and for sale. This may be nonreturned NHS items. I will ask next time i am in there.

They are a charity that will take and sell electricals too. Not many do.

Gangan

I used to volunteer in a charity shop and not a week would pass when customers would bring in all sorts of NHS aids.Crutches, wheelers, trolleys, perching stools etc.  We sometimes got brand new stuff still in sealed plastic bags which had never been used.  They were all keen to make sure this equipment was put to good use as they had failed to get the NHS to collect it.  We used to put a reasonable price on it and it would sell quickly.

Gangan

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »

That's good to hear Pennyfarthing that things sell quickly and are put to further use. Bit better than from the recycling centre i guess. (mind you i cherry pick and get allsorts at my recycling centre ! one person's rubbish is another person's treasure !)

Charities must be picking up where the NHS is failing.

Gangan

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 11:58:18 AM »

Perhaps the 'care in the community' people are better. We had quite a lot stuff for my Dad. They came for it within a couple of days when we no longer needed it, with a checklist to make sure everythig went back.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »

We found the equipment simply wasn't collected regardless of the source.

Krystal

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »

When I cared for my mother we had a lot of equipment from the Red Cross who had the contract to supply aids to help people be more mobile and independent in their own home. There had been quite a lot of questioning and reports done by the Social Worker and Occupational Therapist to assess what mum needed. We were told it was very expensive to buy this equipment and the equipment was provided on a free loan basis, There was an inventory of what had been supplied and everything had to be signed for.  When mum went into a nursing home I contacted the Red Cross to ask them to collect the equipment. They could not be specific about a collection date or time and told me to leave it in the front garden and they would collect sometime the following week. When I questioned the effect the rain would have on some of the equipment I was told that it did not matter! Such a waste of money and what an attitude. The goods were taken but by whom I do not know.

There is an Age UK charity shop where I now live and this regularly has collections of walking sticks, crutches, walking frames, wheelchairs, bed levers, perching chairs and stools for sale. At least this is not wasted and the money goes to a good cause. Perhaps  deposit should be put on these items when taken from the NHS system. If you lived outside the UK these items would cost you as the needy person/patient a lot of money they would not be dished out like sweets simply because you have a need. The NHS is brilliant but falls down financially in many ways.     

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »

Some mobility companies will take things too.  I wouldn't have left the items Krysal - round here they would have disappeared via the un-registered scrap men who trawl round in a white van - apparently legally taxed/MOTd so the Police don't want to know.  I could save the NHS K£!