Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Does it return  (Read 1814 times)

jgr

Does it return
« on: October 13, 2018, 07:20:01 AM »

Is this the meno or something else?? I started going through the menopause when i was 53, i am now 60. Had all the symptoms you would get, sweats, itching skin, no energy, achy joints, ectopic heartbeats blah blah blah. I went onto HRT patches and i am still on them. Over the years i coped with the symptoms as they were like blips only coming now and again with being on the patches. Over the last few months some of the symptoms are returning, the night sweats, itchy skin, achy joints and the most recent ectopic heartbeats. I was so looking forward to coming out the other side but i feel this is gone on long enough.  Has anyone else experienced this. :(

Dancinggirl

Re: Does it return
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 08:11:39 AM »

I'm afraid for many of us there isn't ‘out the other side'. The aches and pains, fatigue, flushes, poor sleep etc are also part of the aging process and even HRT can't hold this back.
I am 62 and have been off hrt for over two years now. I found my body simply wouldn't respond positively to hrt anymore - I got erratic bleeding, cramps and frankly the side effects were outweighing any benefits for me, so I came off it.
My body still craves some oestrogen  - it's a battle to maintain muscle mass and my energy is poor so I have adjusted my life to cope.
I know this is only my experince and many other women do far better. I believe I am suffering more now because I have had so much stress in my life and pushed myself way too hard over the years and this has now caught up with me.
Aging will inevitably happen and I do think 60 is a turning point where the body truly starts to decline whatever measures we put in place.
All I do know is that diet, keeping the weight down and good exercise are absolutely crucial - eat a good diet and keep moving.
DGx
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:19:46 AM by Dancinggirl »

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »

Would your doctor up your dosage?

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »

Hello jgr.

I am similar to you in that I had my last period at age 54 and I am 62 now. I also feel that 8 years of horrible symptoms is more than enough!  I am using. HRT but with limited success which adds to the frustration.
A consultant told me that for many women the problems subside in their early sixties and I hope that's true. I am seeing her at the end of the month and if I learn anything of value I'll update the forum.

Sorry I can't be of more help but you are not alone by any means.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 11:43:05 AM »

I think symptoms may wax and wane.  Certainly I have a few that were present years ago but went away, i.e. itching on the insteps at the end of each day.  Back earlier this year, gone again.

jgr

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 06:08:24 PM »

Thanks for all the replies ladies. I am hoping to be referred back to the meno clinic and see if they can suggest anything, if not then i suppose it is all down to the ageing process  :(

BlueButterfly

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 06:34:21 PM »

Thanks for all the replies ladies. I am hoping to be referred back to the meno clinic and see if they can suggest anything, if not then i suppose it is all down to the ageing process  :(

I hope you can get referred. I don't think ageing should mean suffering.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 07:51:26 PM »

Over the last few months some of the symptoms are returning, the night sweats, itchy skin, achy joints and the most recent ectopic heartbeats. I was so looking forward to coming out the other side but i feel this is gone on long enough.  Has anyone else experienced this. :(

Hi jgr

No I don't think it is down to the ageing process - not the sweats returning and those menopausal symptoms. In fact I am surprised that these are returning now at the age of 60 when you've been on HRT that long. By that I mean you will be likely to be several years post-menopause and oestrogen levels drop dramatically in approx the first two years following menopause and then more or less stabilise.

Maybe as Stellajane says you weren't on the optimal dose to start with? To give myself as an example - I started patch HRT (50 mcg patches) at just under 54 when I was in late peri-menopause  -  and my flushes and sweats disappeared never to return - except when I stopped HRT for 3 months and later when I tried to reduce the dose. I'm now 65 and only increased the oestrogen dose a year or so ago (to 62.5 mcg) because I also take tesosterone and didn't want to become T dominant - not because my symptoms came back. I know we are all different but still - you are describing menopausal symptoms and you should be on a dose/type that eliminates them most of the time without adverse side effects.

I am wondering firstly what type of HRT you are on and secondly whether there could be other reasons for your sweats that need investigating? Also if you are on continuous combined HRT it could be that your sensitivity to the progestogen has changed - some women do get sweats when on the progestogen part of the hRT and if you're on it all the time maybe this has something to do with it?

I have never been on conti HRT (apart from a few months unsuccessfully) and take it cyclically as Stellajane does so have long periods of time on oestrogen only.

Anyway hope you manage to get a referral and good luck with that!

Hurdity x

jgr

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »

Hi Hurdity, I am on Evoril Conti HRT patches and have been from the start. I was advised to use half the patch by the meno clinic and see how it went. I was fine on this dose for a couple of years and then i increased it to a full patch. after about a year on this dose i went back to half patch. i have never tried stopping it altogether as i was worried my symptoms would become worse. My GP surgery give me repeat prescriptions whenever i ask and not once have they reviewed what i am on. I will let you all know if i manage to get referred to meno clinic what they advise me to do.

jgr

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 05:35:06 PM »

Hi Stellajane, I don't want to go on the full patch unless i get told by the experts that it is safe to do so. I worry about breast cancer as i have had two mammogram recalls which were little cysts and nothing to worry about, but it doesn't stop you worrying.  :-\ 

Ladybt28

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 11:06:39 AM »

Hi Stellajane, What is your "long cycle"?  How does it work for you?