Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Drowsiness on HRT  (Read 917 times)

Cori

Drowsiness on HRT
« on: October 12, 2018, 05:58:07 PM »

Is it normal for HRT to cause drowsiness? I've been taking Femoston Conti for just over 2 weeks and although I'm feeling happier, more energetic and more motivated, I've also felt really drowsy, like I want to sleep. I remember feeling like this when I was on the contraceptive pill too. I've also been having palpitations which I've barely had during the past 9 years since coming off the contraceptive pill. Will these symptoms pass, or will I be stuck with them?

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Drowsiness on HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 08:50:06 PM »

Hi Cori
Yeah it is. I think it's the progesterone. That's what calms us.
Sometimes when I was on femoston conti, I'd just keep going and going, even though I was knackered. Even in the heat we had in the summer.!
Hopefully it'll settle down for you. It's early days for you.
Glad to hear you feel good on it...
Can't comment on the palps, other than when I upped my dose, it gave me chest pains,
so had to drop back down again..
Hope this helps, good luck, and hope you continue to feel good on it..
You could get them checked out at the doctors just to make sure...

I've just started Utrogestan, and after 1/2  hour of taking it, the tiredness hits me.
It really is a pain...

Jd xx

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:52:12 PM by jillydoll »

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »

jillydoll, do you feel like this on other types of prog or is it only utro? I'm wondering if I should try a different one.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »

Hi Sheila99
I think I can recall when I first started the Femoston back in February, I was tired nearly all the time. At first, I took my dose I'm the morning, but just couldn't fight the fatigue all day.
So I changed it to early evening time, about 5/6pm. It did help, but takes a while for your body to change..after a few weeks, it didn't seem so bad.
I think it's all progesterone. Although, I did notice last night, it takes about 1/2 hour for my tiredness to kick in, and lasts about an hour, then subsided a bit, enough for me to stay up and watch a film anyway....

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 07:31:40 PM »

Hi Cori - yes the progestogen has a sedative efect. Your body may well acclimatise so carry on for a few more weeks yet and see how you feel. As jillydoll says - better to take the tablet either in the evening or at night so the peak sedative effect comes at the right time.

Even so I always feel sedated on the Utrogestan (progesterone) phse of my HRT and I take it vaginally at night time! I take it cyclically partly for this reason.

Hurdity x

Cori

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 08:40:41 PM »

Thanks everyone. I will take it for 3 months and see how I feel after Christmas. If I can't deal with the tiredness or get any other side effects I will change onto Femoston Sequential, which is what I wanted to start with!

The palpitations are annoying me. I did start getting them a couple of months before I started HRT, so maybe it's not the HRT. Although they have been worse and more frequent since starting HRT. My heart rate is very irregular... speeds up with constant extra beats and missed beats. Hoping it's just coincidence.

I will take the HRT at 9pm instead of 6pm. Then I might be less tired in the evening. As it is now though I'm tired all day but more so in the evening after I've taken it.