Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Extreme Panic Before Hot Flushes  (Read 4859 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Extreme Panic Before Hot Flushes
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »

Certainly I have never had one offered and I've had some reactions over the years  >:(

Shadyglade

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 11:58:02 AM »

When I went back with a different script for Prozac the pharmacist did ask some questions about my reaction to the sertraline. However I was feeling so sh.t I really couldn't be bothered.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 12:31:32 PM »

Oh I remember that feeling too  :'(.  When ill I really hadn't the energy to fight my corner. 

Panic is awful, however felt  :-\

Tempest

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »

Oh bless you, Honey! It's truly awful, isn't it? Have you now had your pituitary surgery, and has this had any effect at all? I explained this symptom to my neuro., and he wondered if it might be a pituitary issue but that has been discounted now as I had a thorough CT scan as part of my SPECT DaT scan and a high resolution MRI.

I would say that if you can give the HRT a go to get relief, then do. You definitely deserve a better quality of life. Sending much love! xxxx

racjen

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »

I've had quite extreme reactions to 8 different anti-depressants now - citalopram was the first, gave me massive panic attacks. After that a succession of SSRI's made me depressed to the point of thinking about suicide constantly (and I was being treated for anxiety, not depression, so this came out of nowhere). More recently I've had the same suicidal reaction to propranolol, pregabalin and most bizarrely of all, testosterone. It is a really really distinctive feeling, not like ordinary low mood but an absolute extinguishing of all hope, coupled with a terrifying fear that that's it, it's all over. I feel like I'm only just managing to convince health professionals that this is real, not some kind of imagined syndrome designed to keep the attention on me - as if that would be more attractive than just finding a way to get better and live a normal life again. And yet every packet of ADs comes with a huge warning that they can cause suicidal ideation, and if they do you should contact your doctor immediately; but when you do it seems they just think it's so unlikely it can't possibly be true.

Tempest

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 07:40:02 PM »

I'm pretty lucky in the respect, Racjen. My psychiatrist absolutely believes that I am that sensitive!

He was very dubious that I would tolerate Venlafaxine which was prescribed by my Neuro., and he was right. I told him how long I tried it for when I saw him the other week, and he said 'im surprised you gave it that long - it's a very powerful drug'. Well - I wish I hadn't because this one has left me in an even bigger mess!

3 days into cold turkey withdrawal, and I'm not ashamed to say on that day I actually crawled under my kitchen table, sobbing in terror. I have no idea why but I just felt as if I was literally going insane. My psychiatrist reassured me that withdrawal was very intense, and that it was unwise to use diazepam or anything similar that might 'muddy the waters', so I've just had to endure it.

2 weeks after stopping it, I'm still getting muscle spasms, brain jolts, sheer panic and nausea after eating anything no matter how small. Also jaw clenching, headache and extreme light sensitivity.

I just hope this hasn't tipped things so far, that I can't find a way back. I'm seeing my psych. again on the 11th when he returns from his annual leave - he hopes things might have settled by then.
xxxx
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:41:55 PM by Tempest »

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »

I so want to give you both a hug, Tempest and racjen.  That intense fear is beyond description.  I would wake in the early hours, for me it was pre-hensile.  Like that sabre-tooth tiger was there! and I had no-where to run.  It was due to my being afraid that I would hurt myself if alone.  There were times when I went into our village surgery to sit.  Sometimes they would make me a cuppa.  Always the GP would take me in and reassure me.  Never judgemental.  Always had time.

Hence the medication to keep me ticking over. 

Some medications do work opposite to what they were designed to do.  Dad had Ativan which is used as a relaxant and as a pre-med, it made me very agitated.  We walked miles together, saying nowt but in company.  I don't remember it raining when we walked.  My friend can't take beta-blockas as they make him hyper.  We don't know enough about the brain .........  and with the gut being the 2nd brain  :-\

I would have taken the Vallium.  It has a calming effect for me and was what the Private Mental Health Hospital recommended when I was crawling along the hall in 1991 saying "I can't take any more".  I wanted a professional to take the responsibility off my husband.  I was on 10mg at that time as necessary.

It is SO tiring  :'( but there is hope >wave<. 

Honey

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 12:10:54 PM »

That sounds a horrific time for you CKLD.  So glad it came right for you in the end.  I'm sure you too Tempest will recover well, just give yourself time and be kind to yourself, big hugs. 

With regard to the pituitary surgery I had last year to remove a benign tumour, in order to lower my growth hormone.  It was a success but did not really improve my flushes/sweats.  My sore and stiff joints have improved a little though.  They think now that the sweats are due to menopause and advise me to consider hrt or fluoxetine.  Unsure what route I will take as the symptoms are now “liveable” now that I am retired.  It would be nice though to have a break.  Sounds like what you are going through just now Tempest is much much worse and my heart goes out to you. Take care. 😘

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »

It was horrendous.  I thought that I would never feel well.  A loving husband and good GP helped.

Tempest

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »

I'm so glad that you've had your surgery and that it was a success, Honey! And thank you so much for your kind words. It's hard to know what to do if things are manageable, I guess - if I had to choose,  I would say give a low dose of HRT a go.

Good luck! xxxx

dangermouse

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »

I think that sadly the extreme physical anxiety is very common.

I used to sit in the local pharmacy until they closed or park in the supermarket car park just so that I was around people in case ‘something?' happened as it was such a terrible feeling of doom.

Not knowing what caused it though made it so much worse and if I get hit now it's still terrifying but I know it will calm down once it gets to about 10pm. Not good when it starts at 5am though!

I'm just going to post something that may help some of you that I've just discovered.

Tempest

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 04:51:10 PM »

DM, I identify with what you have posted too! Except mine lifts a bit at about 11.45 pm every night. A tiny sliver of half an hour every day before I go to bed of feeling 'normal'.

I know this is when cortisol is lowest - midnight - so that is surely relevant.

I'm looking forward to seeing your next post! xxxx

dangermouse

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »

Those gaps are just so precious aren't they, like coming up for air!

Here it is, as wanted it as a separate post:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=41007.new#new

Tempest

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 05:06:57 PM »

No way, DM!!!! You're NOT going to believe this, but I almost bought some a good few weeks ago after trawling some menopause threads on an online forum called 'Gardenweb', of all things. A lady there had success with just the same symptoms, so it can't be a fluke! :o

Well, what do you think of that then!? You may be onto something major here.....!❤❤❤

dangermouse

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2018, 05:30:22 PM »

Well I'm kicking myself as I nearly bought them 2 years ago when my nausea was made worse by a wrist brace I was wearing for an injury. The pharmacist told me that it was pressing on the ovaries point and he suggested the Sea Bands but I felt so I'll at the time I didn't want to risk making anything worse. I then forgot all about it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3