Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: 4 years post meno... too late for HRT? Stiffness etc  (Read 2122 times)

mrspinkrat

4 years post meno... too late for HRT? Stiffness etc
« on: August 29, 2018, 06:22:23 PM »

Hello!
For some time now I have experienced joint pain and chronic stiffness. Although I haven't had periods since I was 43  (I'm now 48) I never really connected these pains with menopause. I've been tested for many, many things over the past few years to be finally told I'm on the cusp of the fibromyalgia spectrum! I'm not convinced. I don't particularly suffer with fatigue- I just feel like I'm living in a 70 year old's body!! I hobble in the mornings, struggle to bend and just basically ‘hurt' all over (hence fibro diagnosis)
My life has changed beyond recognition due to joint pain and stiffness :(
What I want to ask is, is this a common symptom of menopause? Because I haven't up to now experienced any typical meno symptoms...
I'm reluctant to start HRT if I don't actually need it!!
Does anyone know if joint pains (no swelling) and general stiffening up are a meno symptom which could be alleviated by HRT please?
Thank you in advance xx

Aileenf

Re: 4 years post meno... too late for HRT? Stiffness etc
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:26:33 PM »

Hi welcome to this forum, some really great support.  I'm 4 years post menopause and for a variety of reasons like flushes, not sleeping to name a few I started hrt last October as I was at the end of my tether. It's been a rocky road and almost a year down the road still not quite there but hoping I'll get there soon.    Have u tried any herbal solutions?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 10:22:52 PM »

Hi. HRT relieves my pain and stiffness. Without it everything hurts and creaks. The hobbling monster walk in the morning is, in my case, totally banished by HRT. I think you were prescribed it in the past (you are young to be without oestrogen) but maybe you were reluctant to try it?

I have fibromyalgia too but sadly HRT makes no difference to this.

Let us know what you decide.

Taz x

mrspinkrat

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 12:12:54 PM »

Hi, thank you for your replies!
Yes, Taz, I was offered it but felt at the time that I needed to get to the bottom of these aches, tenderness and stiffness. I am already taking Amitripyline and Levothyroxine so an reluctant to add another prescription in to the mix.
Also, the thought of ‘bleeding' again after all these years worries me - I can't even explain why!
I think I will re-visit my GP and talk it over xx

linz57

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »

Hi, I started hrt three years post menopause and it's really helped with joint pain as well as all my other hormone related problems. The doctor told me the further we go past the menopause, the less estrogen we have in our bodies and this can cause the painful, stiff joints.
You don't need to worry about bleeds,  because if you're post meno you can be put on a continual regime. This means taking both estrogen and progesterone every day without a break. You may get a little spotting occasionally in the first six months of use,( I had one bit of bleeding and then it stopped)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:54:11 PM by linz57 »

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »

Yep,
Sounds familiar.
I have had over the last 4 yrs ( i too am 48), loads of ‘strange ‘ complaints that i thought, or had never heard of as being menopausal. I was just familiar with things like hot flushes. Things like -: gut troubles, gastritis/ibs /constipation, aches and pains all over, but mainly ankles and back, itching, anxiety , forgetfulness, inertia. Then about a year ago the night sweats and heat began, so down to the gp for some HRT- 5 months in with one dose increase and all those ‘strange' symptoms have all but gone.
I really was quite shocked by how much better i feel and more by how many things that seemed unrelated , very much were.
Give hrt a try if it makes no difference then you'll at least know. Good luck

mrspinkrat

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »

Thank you! That sounds really promising. I think I'll give it a go - like you say, there's nothing to lose! Xx

TraceyTracey

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 06:03:41 PM »

Try HRT.  Evorel 50 low does patches and Merina coil works for me. No more walking around aching with creaky bones.  It was painful getting out of bed in the morning from age 43... go for it.   

:)