Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil,will I ever feel well?  (Read 1797 times)

Lisa1966

Mirena coil,will I ever feel well?
« on: August 28, 2018, 11:23:58 AM »

Hi ladies,
Was wondering if you could give me some advice,I had mirena fitted in July,but for the last 3 weeks my legs are really aching,my breasts are swollen and sore and I'm feeling pretty depressed. I also feel sore right up inside me,I have no energy to do anything and am starting to lose hope of ever feeling well again. When I email my consultant he doesn't reply until he gets my second more desperate email,he still hasn't sent any paperwork to my drs,they are getting the hump,I saw him on the 19th of June,it's a shambles,I didn't receive my bill until the 15th August,which I haven't paid yet,as I don't see why I should,until he sorts everything out,I am getting more desperate by the day,I don't want to get him off side,but I really am struggling not to tell him exactly what I think of the service I have received. He tells me what he wants me to change,but doesn't inform my dr,she has done as I have asked twice from showing her emails,but she said she will need paperwork from now on,so I'm stuck now as he says I have a problem absorbing the gel and wants me to try patches,but until he sends a letter,she's not gonna prescribe anything else. :'(

helenmelon

Re: Mirena coil,will I ever feel well?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 11:57:44 AM »

Hi Lisa1966,

I too have a Mirena and currently use Estradot 50. I was convinced by my meno consultant, my GP and my gynaecologist to try the Mirena again. The last one I had caused me a lot of pain for some reason so I had it removed.
Anyway, I got mine on 11 May and until about 5 weeks ago I had actually forgetting it was in there!! But then I got extremely sore breasts just like I had when I was on the progesterone phase of the Evorel 50 which was why I had the coil!! I could hardly bend over as they were so painful and heavy, my bra hurt too!!
Plus I felt a bit like I had PMT, just a bit angry, tired and annoyed.

Then last week I had what I would consider a very light period, it was like the bleeding I had when the Mirena had been inserted, nothing much at all. Then hey presto the sore boobs and pmt feeling has gone.
I've no idea what's going on with my body anymore and still don't like the thought of having the Mirena because I can't just stop taking it if I get side effects 🙄
My GP, who also has a Mirena said it can take up to 6 months to settle down and no to expect normal periods.

I guess it's all just trial and error with HRT and although generally I feel better on it, it's not the cure all I thought.

SueLW

Re: Mirena coil,will I ever feel well?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »

If you feel sore deep inside then go and ask your GP to make sure you don't have an infection going on in there.

As for when you might expect to feel well, some say it takes a few weeks to settle in.  I had mine when I was suffering horrendously painful and clotty periods.  I felt bloated, tired, lacklustre, spotting and miserable/depressed and went back after 3 months (I'd been given an appointment for a 3 month check-up) and explained all this.  The lady doctor told me to persevere, that it can take 6 months sometimes but it is worth it. 

I went back home and got on with waiting and never actually realised when the 6th month was because by then I was back to normal and having a much better time with no bleeding or pain.  I don't know how long it took because I didn't notice, I guess I just gradually got better on it.  Somewhere between that 3 month check up and the 6th month mark.  It then gave me years of freedom.

I am now using Utrogestan vaginally and getting the same painfully sore bloating and tired and miserable creeping in.  But I'm determined to put up with that for at least 4 months because I might just be slow getting used to progesterone again.  I had been on HRT for 3 years but when tested earlier in the summer, my levels of all 3 hormones were very low so it's as it I'm starting from scratch again.

I'd say get yourself checked for infection and once that is ruled out, stick at it.