Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello everyone- I just need a bit of advice please!  (Read 1471 times)

mishmash

Hello everyone- I just need a bit of advice please!
« on: August 26, 2018, 04:51:42 PM »

Hello to you all-
I am 58, 5 years without a period, my GP prescribed Evorel 50 2 weeks ago, as I had a massive hot flush when I was in the surgery. 
I always thought I would battle through the whole thing until the bitter end, but she gave me the option to try HRT for 3 months, so I thought i would try it. 
The past few days, I have been having quite fierce  'period' pains, and it feels like I am due on? Also I feel really itchy vaginally!   Is this ok?  Will it all resolve in time?  I am prepared to give it a go, just wanted to know if this is normal-  it doesn't really say that much about this in the enclosed leaflet with the patches. 
Good to be here by the way.  x

Dotty

Re: Hello everyone- I just need a bit of advice please!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »

Hi have you had a hysterectomy? X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 05:44:11 PM »

OK - read our threads on Vaginal atrophy which needs a different HRT regime, applied locally. 

:welcomemm: you could put the product name into the search box and see what pops up.  Make notes!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 05:50:16 PM »

Hi and welcome to mm

It can take the body some time to ‘wake up' when starting hrt from a low base line as you are.  Some tingling and itchiness is quite normal also cramps and sore boobs as well.

What progesterone have you been given ? Are you on Evorel combined patches? OR have you had a hysterectomy?
You might need some vaginal
Moisturiser to help keep things healthy down there - SYLK or the YES products are best. DG x

mishmash

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »

Thank you for the replies-   I haven't had a hysterectomy, and have been using Vagifem sporadically over the past 3-4 years.    I do use Yes oil based  as a lubricant, as I have had some level of VA in the past. 

mishmash

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »

And yes, am on the combined patches.   

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »

Mishmash - give things time.
These patches are medium dose so your body is being bombarded with hormones at the moment and will take time to welcome and adjust to the hormones. DG x

mishmash

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 08:05:05 PM »

Thank you-  I guessed I need to go with the whole thing at the moment, but just panicked a little after having the period pains.  It has been a while since those!   

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 07:18:29 PM »

Hi mishmash

:welcomemm:

Also if you are on Evorel conti - then don't be alarmed if you do have some bleeding or spotting at first. This is absolutely normal for the first 6 months on continuous combined HRT and is the womb adjusting to the hormones (as Dancinggirl said!).

You probably need to take Vagifem too - taking it sporadically only clears it up for the time you are using it and symptoms will return if you don't keep it up. Many women need local oestrogen ( ie Vagifem) as well as systemic HRT ( ie the patches) in order to feel comfortable.

Hope it does the trick for you :)

Hurdity x